Glassing Photos

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have any pictures, but here are some pointers, in no particular order, that should make you more effective:

- Glass through a hierarchy. Start by glassing with your naked eye, when you have the largest perspective its easiest to pick out movement and any major contrasts. This is also important to identify any dead space (topographical or concealment) and to identify the areas you can see and could effectively hunt. Then move to binos and finally your spotter. Depending on the area I am glassing, I will be on my binos for 80% of the time and spotter for 20%.

- Glass right to left, studies have shown that this will cause your mind to process the visual information more effectively as humans are used to processing things from left to right and have a tendency to overlook things due to the familiarity of information and the drive to do things quickly. Brady Miller got me onto this and I think there is truth behind it.

- When you don't turn up any animals within the area you are glassing, start looking for mule deer butts or antlers - something specific. This helps your mind continue to break down the same visual information in different ways. If you're eyes/ brain are looking to identify whole animals they may not register the white rump sticking out from behind sagebrush.

- Take breaks! You're going to be spending hours a day glassing and the longer you sit without seeing anything the less effective you are probably becoming behind the glass. Sometimes for me this just means heating up a drink in the jetboil and sitting back taking in the moment and letting your mind be at ease. Other times its nice to get up and move around - if you do this remember there may be animals that can see you.
this is great advice.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yeah you weren’t kidding. I can’t find the doe…doesn’t bode well for my next hunt haha.

I wouldn't let that cause you any pause at all.

Blurry impossible pictures have little to do with spotting game.

Good glass, time, location. Most importantly be glassing at first light, not legal shooting light, to know if animals are in the area.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on where you are looking for them it can become extremely difficult to find them however in other instances they stick out like sore thumbs. Here’s an example of an extremely difficult one to find. I spotted this doe purely because it flicked its ear. I’m inviting everyone to try and find the deer in this picture. I’m sure some people will find it easily however it is bedded down and not easy to find.View attachment 500864
Is there a buck there too?

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t overthink it

Attachments

• D6C2BBA5-EFB5-4F68-9851-660CF66E18E8.jpeg
    D6C2BBA5-EFB5-4F68-9851-660CF66E18E8.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 60
Stop and really take your time. My wife and I were sitting at the base of a pine tree glassing a canyon one morning this past November. We had 3 groups of hunters stop 20 yards from us, jump out, glass the canyon for 2 minutes then jump back in and continue up the road. 1 group came by 3 times. I don’t think any of them even saw us sitting there and none of them probably saw the 5-6 bucks in that draw that were in view from our spot.

Attachments

• E6A4533D-D5AB-4A70-89D5-B2C0A12EE1CB.jpeg
    E6A4533D-D5AB-4A70-89D5-B2C0A12EE1CB.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 59
  • BF9F5E45-9B12-4D15-B718-2F8D17B57A02.jpeg
    BF9F5E45-9B12-4D15-B718-2F8D17B57A02.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 59
OP, you should consider following Jay Scott on Instagram and then listening to his podcast. IMO he does the best, most informative, process based media on the topic of glassing. He also just seems to be a super human being.

Rich M

WKR
Yip I was looking at something else thinking it was a buck. See my circle below

didn’t see the doe.. complete failure 😞 I need glassing lessons. See OP, you’re not so bad.

View attachment 501557
I see what looks like antlers to the right of Robbie's blue circle, same elevation as top blue line. Thought the doe was just right (almost under) of Robbie's blue circle even with lower blue line. LOL!

A lot easier when looking in person. Deer are hard to see sometimes and some glass makes em pop, other glass not so much.

You can go to the White Mountains, hike with your full pack weight and glass up animals or even other hikers.

Adjust this strategy out west and spend more time gridding dark timber patches and less on open country. If a spot looks like it should/could hold an animal, spend your time looking for movement, shine, an odd shape or color that doesn't fit. You can stare at timber with bucks in it for an hour + that you'll not see until they reposition or begin feeding.

Be patient and invest in a tripod and decent glass. Especially in early season up high - hunt with your eyes and not your legs. If you're in a good looking basin and have it to yourself, don't rush out of there and start chasing your tail.

Attachments

• 20220907_235227.jpg
    20220907_235227.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220919_150147.jpg
    20220919_150147.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 21