Give me your techniques for smarter hiking of steep stuff and sidehills

jmez

WKR
Small, slow steps going up and switchback when coming down is how I prefer to navigate steep stuff. I've learned I'm far more efficient, and faster this way. I used to just start charging uphill until I was gassed and then have to stand there to catch my wind. Then I'd just repeat until I was at the top. If I'm going up and getting tired I just slow down some more.

I use trekking poles as well when hunting. I never use them when training unless it is snowy/icy.

I'll echo everything that's pretty much already been said here, definitely a lot of good information and suggestions. I also feel that there's only one real and best way to train for mountain hunting and that is actually mountain climbing/hiking. I realize that not everyone can do that and a gym may be the only way for some folks to adequately train, but if it is at all possible getting outside and walking/climbing anything, with weight on your back is the best training IMO. If you are able to climb around in the mountains with a weighted pack, I suggest the weight that you have be something that you can dump. Unless you are taking short little trips up the side of a hill and then back down where you can take a lot of extra time coming down so as not to pound your joints with the extra weight on your back, I feel it's best to unload the weight and come down empty so as not to cause undue stress or injury to your joints. When I train, I also try to mimic exactly how it will be in a real life hunting situation. That means carrying the same amount of weight and using the same type of gear that I would normally use, including pack, clothing (that I'm wearing), trekking poles, boots, etc. I try my best to stay in shape all year long but during the winter months that doesn't always work out as planned, so when I again start my serious training in the spring, a lot of times I'll start off with only a few lbs, if any, on my back and work up from there. There is no substitute for actual training in the mountains or, if you don't have mountains, on the little hill in the backyard, with a weighted pack, mimicking the exact same motions that you would in a real mountain hunting situation. Train diligent, train hard, stay safe, and don't get hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Trekking poles and hike the same kinda crap in the off season plus biking.

idcuda

WKR
Ditto this, and pretty much what everyone else has said. Short strides on the uphill and you can mix in the rest steps on occasion. I use a variety of methods and just keep on charging.

Small, slow steps going up and switchback when coming down is how I prefer to navigate steep stuff. I've learned I'm far more efficient, and faster this way. I used to just start charging uphill until I was gassed and then have to stand there to catch my wind. Then I'd just repeat until I was at the top. If I'm going up and getting tired I just slow down some more.

I use trekking poles as well when hunting. I never use them when training unless it is snowy/icy.

I like to transition from trekking poles to all fours when it gets really steep. The pain is trying to find a suitable place to put the poles

Beendare

WKR
Uphill; its always easier to find a sloping contour or switchbacking than pushing straight up a steep slope

Downhill; Step with the bottom of your foot having full contact with the angled slope and your knees bent to create more foot contact...keeps you from slipping.

Last edited:
The biggest thing that helps me is to always take a positive step. Meaning, make sure when you step you actually go ahead in distance and your feet are not side by side. I find that no matter how small the gain, I spend less energy and cut huge amount of time by making sure I always cover ground. It also keeps one leg from fatigue as both split the lifting equally.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
-on very steep ground I like to make switchbacks both up and down
-with trekking poles that are adjustable- shorten them for steep ups, lengthen them for steep downs

by far the very best thing to improve steep ascents/descents is training- hill repeats have become a staple in my training regime; they've really paid off- granted they are not fun! :D

mthelenarepeats_zpsx4mwmmdi.jpg

elkduds

WKR
-on very steep ground I like to make switchbacks both up and down
-with trekking poles that are adjustable- shorten them for steep ups, lengthen them for steep downs

^^^Agree. The angle of your switchback route can be as direct to the fall line or as shallow as a traverse as you need. Vary it so you are sidehilling equally to left and right. It is faster and less fatiguing to keep a steady pace and vary the steepness of your switchbacking, than to struggle straight uphill w frequent rest stops. For sidehilling/swichbacking you can adjust one pole longer, the other shorter. Switch the shorter pole to the uphill hand when you switch back from traversing left to traversing right.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm a "shortest distance between two points" kind of guy, so I tend to go straight up and straight down. How I do that depends on what the surface is like. Large steps if I can, or short steps if the surface is slippery or slides.

I had to hike over a boulder field going up and then back down this year. It was kind of odd stepping on boulders the size of VW bugs and having them move under me.

kodiakfly

WKR
The training of course, and for me, keeping my training year-round helps rather than just whipping myself into shape two months before season.

And speaking of training, I talked to a buddy of mine who does eco-challenges and those crazy 200 mile mountain races like what Cam Haines does. He gave me the best piece of advice I've ever gotten and that's that BIGGER steps are easier and more efficient than smaller ones. And by "bigger" I don't mean huge steps or anything that would be unstable or overreaching. But I used to take baby steps because I thought they were easier and less taxing. Man, was I wrong. I trained myself to take bigger steps uphill and the difference it made was substantial. Basically, it allows you to utilize your whole leg-glute muscle group instead of only the parts used with smaller steps where those fibers take all of the work instead of letting your whole "system" share the load and also something about the leverage of the whole range of motion of your legs, if that makes sense. I dunno...it's biology and physics. Either way, he's not a hunter, but he moves fast through the mountains as a serious hobby, so I valued his advice. I'll never be a fast hiker, or not even a slow hiker. But my "speed" and ease with which I went uphill is dramatically improved with my new, longer stride.

Muttly

WKR
1. Trekking poles, same as everyone else has said.
2. Might just be me, born a flatlander, had to learn to push through with my heel. Use the quads and leg biceps. Force myself to NOT pull myself up with my knees.
One of those things that is probably obvious and natural to a lot of people, but not me. Doing that, pushing off when going straight up where possible with the poles, and using the poles as a stabilizer in uneven terrain.
Lot closer to 50 than originally anticipated, hafta pay attention, not tear the knees up. Used to be a bit of a gym rat in younger days, moved some prodigious weight in the sled on a regular basis. After a while, took it for granted that my legs were always gonna be a strong point. A few years older, don't make it to a gym much anymore, heal a lot slower from any injury, don't quite take em for granted anymore.

Jauwater

WKR
As often as you can walk squared up. Meaning keeping your shoulders and toes pointed in the direction your going. Keep your feet no more then shoulder length apart, and try not to walk with your feet close together. It all has to do with balance. So even if you gotta move three feet out of your way to maneuver something, stop turn your shoulders in the direction your wanting to go, and walk with your feet squared with your shoulders, and keep your toes pointed pointed in the direction your heading. There was a point in time I used trekking poles often, but now their use is very limited, but I always have them with me. There is proper technique to using trekking poles as well, and terrain can sometimes wear you out worse using trekking poles. Example would be going up or down steep terrain, and having your trekking poles sliding off of slick rocks or plunging into soft ground. Obviously those motions happen when putting your weight on the trekking pole to help pull your self up a mountain or when your putting your weight on the trekking pole when going down hill. When the pole slips or sinks, the rapid motion that happens with your arm is the same as throwing a hard jab into the air. It damages muscle faster that way. And anti shock poles are not your friend, if your getting a pair get a solid pair with no springs. Stiff boots can be a double edge sword. They force you to use less of your foot, and more of your leg, which is good. But blisters often occur in really stiff boots, even well fitted ones. I think it's more about breaking in your feet first, and then finding the right boot or shoe for you. Eat well, I don't drink alcohol the day before I'm expecting a long difficult hike. Seems my muscles tire sooner with alcohol in the system. Take several breaks. Stay hydrated. Wear your boots snug, but not tight. I typically wear thin socks during high excursion to help keep your feet dry, which in turn helps stay warm, and a wet foot is a soft foot which creates blisters easier.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk