Gift ideas for land owner

Dbolick

FNG
my neighbor that lives across the street has graciously agreed to let me hunt his property for the last two years in return I am supposed to help him around his farm when he needs an extra set of hands. I would like to thank him in a more meaningful way as he has been extremely kind to my wife and I over the time we have lived at this house. I love to woodwork. Last year I made him some wine racks and a cutting board as a special thank you. I would like to make something again for him this year, but I am having a hard time thinking of what to make. I don’t know a great deal about him as far as what he likes to do outside of farming. I don’t want to make him something he may not want or is too big and bulky and is in the way. So I have been trying to think of small things to make, but I’m really getting stuck on exactly what to do. Some ideas I have thought of making is a kitchen utensil storage, a wooden mallet, a whiskey box (although I don’t know what whiskey he likes), a small keepsake box. I like the idea of making him a gift as far as it having just a special touch, I think he would really appreciate that or should I go the route of gift cards or store-bought items? Please let me hear your thoughts.

bowkill

FNG
Does he have a farm name? You could do a nice sign for his farm. Otherwise, it sounds like you might not have enough insight into his likes and dislikes to give a meaningful gift. Giving him something that he ends up throwing away or just setting on a shelf making more clutter doesn't really help either of you. I know you want it to be a surprise, but if you decide to make a sign, it actually might be a good idea to have him involved in the design of it so that he gets it the way he wants.

wytx

WKR
Talk with his wife and tell her what you want to do. She may well know of something he would really like and use.

go_deep

WKR
Special types of food seem to be the thing my dad likes best when hunters give him a thank you. One guy my dad let's pheasant hunt buys some high cashews for him, another guy buys him a couple packs of huge ribeye steaks.
Household items are great, if they really need them.

Yoder

WKR
We always take some of our meat and have kielbasa and pepperoni made. They are very popular.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW ornate handmande boxes are always cool. Even a simple dovetail box can look really good. You could turn him a large bowl for family dinners if you have a lathe. Display peices.

If he's a farmer he probably has lots of keys. A handmade key rack with their name would be cool too.

I don't know what tools you have, but scroll sawing a large name they can place on their house would work too.