Gift for hunting access

Djacker

WKR
Kind of a random question but. My family had been hunting on a family friend's land for 40+ years. I want to give the landowner something more/different than money as a thank you. Any ideas on what to give/do? Landowner is 70 years old. Thanks

keller

WKR
The old school landowners i used to hunt on i would give them some ring bologna,summer sausage ,cheese.they appreciated it. They weren't against eating game just didn't hunt.The people that weren't into. Hunting gift certificates for local restaurants. They would say you don't need to pay me. I would say I didn't
I gave you a gift certificate.

lif

WKR
If you’ve been hunting there that long, I would try to give something that would be a permanent fixture there. Whether something for the land or something for the house. Something that they get to see all the time that reminds them of your appreciation.

MTtrout

WKR
One thing that comes to mind is give them back some meat that you kill off their land. A friend who I used to do a lot of goose hunting with in a state with high early season quotes (resident goose) would make pounds of goose bologna to hand out as a holiday gift. My dad has alway given his neighbor some prime cuts and stuff like summer sausage he makes. Those gestures go a long ways and are well received.

OP
D

Djacker

WKR
Kind of a random question but. My family had been hunting on a family friend's land for 40+ years. I want to give the landowner something more/different than money as a thank you. Any ideas on what to give/do? Landowner is 70 years old. Thanks
I should add the landowner activity hunts with the group. I give the landowner some $ every year. Thinking about something bigger, like a rifle or?

go_deep

WKR
You could give this guy a truck and he literally might give a crap less. You know him, think about it, what is something he really likes? Does he love green tractors, red tractors, speciality meats, a certain sports team, his country, go from there.

keller

WKR
Something way overlooked in our day and age of everyone being super busy!! Just sit down at the table have a cup of coffee and give them a few hours of your time! He'll you might even learn something!! I am way guilty of not doing this and I sure miss not doing it!

OP
D

Djacker

WKR
If you’ve been hunting there that long, I would try to give something that would be a permanent fixture there. Whether something for the land or something for the house. Something that they get to see all the time that reminds them of your appreciation.
I like this idea, I was thinking about a small accessory building.

OP
D

Djacker

WKR
Is his land a farm/ranch and does it have a name? Hand make a cutting board or serving platter with his farm/ranch logo burned in with a custom brand that you have made and give that as well.
Currently it's vacant land with a hunting cabin. The dairy operation was sold a few years ago. I do like your idea of the farm logo.

def90

WKR
If I'm giving someone a gift it's usually someone I know somewhat well. I try to give them something I know from my interactions with them that they want but would never go out of their way to buy themselves for whatever reason. We all have those things we want but somehow talk ourselves out of spending money on for some reason.. maybe it's an "i'd really like that but I should probably pay some bills first"..

bc54

FNG
Custom knife.

Maybe with antler handle from his land.

Or his last name inlayed in contrasting color.

manitou1

WKR
A rifle sounds great to me.

A fancy machine cut metal sign for the entrance to the farm?

A painting of the farm or his homestead.

A custom knife.

After 40 years, I think something long lasting/permanant would be the best choice though.

wyosteve

WKR
Just my .02, but I would stay away from liquor, meat from game, apples, pies, etc. and get something you know they'd likely want/use. Most landowners I'm familiar with aren't in the eat game meat mode and may not be drinkers. Something more personalized and permanent as was mentioned is what I'd do.