Getting into waterfowl

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Dont forget a duck stamp with your John Hancock on it. I would also pattern some different brands of steel with your chokes/gun...see what works best.

One word of caution waterfowling is addictive. Starts out a pond hunt here, field hunt there...Next thing you know you will be leaving your house at midnight so you can drive six hours to fill a Tundra Swan Tag.

Good Luck!

Or booking a 3 day hunt in NC while your brother is stationed there for the 4 of us to smack some sea ducks then a tundra swan. Alaska followed and was worth every penny.

Mojos work great if you know how to use them. We take ours down at sunrise most of the time. From the 30 minutes before sun up to sunrise they work great with 6 decoys.

Be on the X. Be where the ducks were the day before. Majority of duck hunting is scouting. Don't put out wigeon decoys for reheads etc. Try no to mix divers and puddles unless you have see them there together.

Use a modified choke. Get some fasteel #3 at 1625fps if your gun will take it or 1550fps.

My last piece of advice. Have fun and shoot.

SoDaky

WKR
Pattern your shells and chokes.I assume you probably have at least 2 and maybe 3.Try the mod and improved cylinder ones with 2 or 3 different brands of shells.Without spending a lot of money you can come up with a combo that works.It will make a difference.Frankly for many,an improved cylinder would be best.The days of 30 inch barrels and full chokes are over with modern ammo.Some friends and I have gone to strictly 20 gauges and have no problem killing honkers out to 40 yds.(so far this year I have shot an 8 bird limit of honkers 8 times)In my 20 I do this with Black Cloud three inch 2s with an imp cylinder after market choke.
If you enjoy waterfowling,you can then really enhance the experience by getting yourself a good retriever.Nothing like duck/goose hunting with a good dog.

Bare minimum:

-Chest waders
-Shotgun
-Steel shot
-Facemask and Hat
-mild weather waterproof jacket
-cold weather waterproof jacket
-A dozen decoys

A small sit on top kayak, canoe, skiff, or jon boat will make things a lot more accessible for you.

---NOTE: **Camo pattern does not matter. Anything earth tone will be fine. Movement is the killer.

USMC-40

WKR
I’d pick up a dozen ducks and 6 goose decoys. I think mojos have their place, but not on stale ducks. On the goose decoys, here in NW MO a lot of times the best duck decoys is a goose decoy

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Essentials on a first duck hunt - A mentor.
Duck hunting isn't for everyone. And if you buy a ton of crap and decide you don't like it your out of luck. Get a pair of waders (borrow them if you can), a shotgun, a box of shells and your tags. I've had several people approach me who were in your same boat. They wanted to try it. And while I don't usually mind taking someone new out, It makes it a whole lot easier if they say "I know where their are some ducks and/or geese. If you decide you like it the learning curve can be a long one when you include calling both ducks and geese , figuring out how to setup a spread, training a dog etc. And trust me, if you like it you'll end up trying all of those things at some point or another.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Thanks for the help. I've got some buddies who are gonna get me out to give it a shot next month. Looking forward to it! I've got a box of shells, gun, waders (not neoprene but I'll live for a day) and my tag. Can't wait

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Holocene

WKR
I live in Oregon and started duck hunting when I moved here 3 years ago.

I also work for our fish & game department and teach new adult hunters. Just ran a "learn to duck hunt" workshop here in fact.

Lots of great points made above. Here's my perspective -- trying to follow the KISS method.

Action Steps
1. Find someone who's good at duck hunting and go with them. Go 2-6 times with them. They are your mentor. If that person can't take you 2-6 times, find a combination of mentors. You will learn more in a day from these people than you will in a year doing it alone. Be good to them. Follow their lead. Bring them snacks. Be open, humble, helpful and an overall good dude and they will help you.
2. Find ducks. Ducks move around a good bit during the year. You want to scout and find where they are.
3. Get access. This is either through local public land (every state has it) or private. This will take some work. That's normal, and we all do it.
4. Get on the marsh. At first, go during daylight for an afternoon hunt to dial in your gear and process. Then start going for early morning hunts.

Bare gear essentials
  • State hunting license, whatever waterfowl permits you need there, federal duck stamp
  • 12-18 decoys in a bag or cart that's comfortable for your situation. Sometimes I run as few as 3, but 12-18 is average.
  • Shotgun with improved or modified choke
  • Ammo (steel 2s or 3s best)
  • Small bag for your ammo, coffee/water, snacks, stuff to go in
  • Duck tote/strap to carry ducks (cheap at Sportsman's or online); don't stuff ducks inside packs
  • Jerk string or spreader -- you want some way to create ripples on water. These are cheapest and easiest.
  • Mojo is helpful situationally, but not necessary at all. You will get there some day.
  • Way to retrieve ducks. I've tried it all -- kayak, fishing rod, waders, and now a dog. Save yourself some grief at first and find places to hunt where you can walk right out in the marsh and pick up ducks yourself. There should be plenty of spots like that.
  • Hen mallard call -- then videos on Youtube and learn how to do basic quack and then excited calling. Probably won't be good for 1-2 years unless you are musically gifted. But you'll want to call eventually. Whistles are goo additions too when you want to get more advanced.
  • Good camo and concealment. You want to be totally hidden wherever you set up.
  • Seat. I use a camo bucket with swivel lead I bought at cabelas. Doubles as gear tote and marsh seat.
  • Headlamp