Getting into Long Range Hunting - Fierce CT Edge in 28 Nosler

Kay9Cop

FNG
I've decided to take the plunge into long range hunting. I'm 47 years old and to date my longest shot at a big game animal has been a whopping 305 yards, with most being 100 yards or less. I've had to pass on some animals because I couldn't get close enough, but when I was younger I didn't mind putting in the extra leg work to get on another one. Three knee surgeries and being a bit overweight and out of shape had me thinking my mountain hunting days were behind me. Recently I've gotten back in shape and dropped some pounds, to the point where I have another mountain goat hunt planned next fall. Along with that hunt I placed an order for a Fierce CT Edge. My goal is to have a relatively light weight long range hunting rifle, so my choices have been based largely upon weight. Here's what I ordered:

Fierce Carbon Titanium Edge in 28 Nosler
Camo stock in Kryptek Altitude
Tactical (side discharge) titanium muzzle break
Hard case
Bore guide
Scope cover
Spare magazine

I have a March 2.5-25x42 scope that I'm going to mount in Hawkins Precision Hybrid rings. I think low rings will fit and I'm going to go with their 25 MOA option.

Normally I would look for lower priced options for the accessories because I've found in the past that most manufactures will slap their name on something and then mark it up outrageously, but pricing the Scope Coat Flak Jacket, Possum Hollow bore guide, and SKB case found Fierce's prices to be in line.

I narrowed my cartridge choices down to the 28 Nosler and 300 RUM. I like the idea of the extra energy the RUM carries, but I'm not too much of a man to admit that I'm a recoil wimp, so 28 Nosler was it. I realize that right now .30 caliber seems to be pretty popular on this board, especially concerning talk about elk hunting, but I would rather have a gun I enjoy enough to shoot often to keep my accuracy up than a gun I don't want to shoot due to the recoil.

The rifles should come in about 8.5 pounds ready to roll:
Rifle, 6 pounds 5 ounces (based off of actual weights from other purchasers, not the Fierce advertised weight of less than 6 pounds)
Scope, 21 ounces
Rings, 3 ounces
Atlas bipod with ADM mount, 13 ounces

I've shot quite a bit for work and during 20 years in the military, so I'm comfortable behind a gun. I have access to a 1000 yard range nearby for practice, but I need to get some formal long range training. I understand ballistics, but could definitely benefit from instruction by an expert, particularly with regards to doping for wind. Fierce offers a school, but I'm looking at other options. Suggestions are welcome.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal on a Sig Kilo 2400 ABS to replace my aging Bushnell rangefinder.

I'm not going to shoot the EOL 195, which seems to be popular right now. Initially I'm going to use H1000 for powder and Federal 215M primers. I'm going to work on loads for the Hornady 175 grain ELD-X for longer shooting and some loads for the North Fork 175 grain SS for closer shots at tougher game. I've used North Fork bullets in other rifles/calibers and find them to be superior to Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames on bigger game, particularly the moose and brown bear I like to hunt.

Once the rifle arrives I'm going to send off some once fired brass to Whidden for a custom set of dies using their Click Adjustable Non-bushing Sizer Die and Micrometer Seating Die. I'm still trying to decide on neck tension for hunting (not target) rounds, so input on that is appreciated.

The rifle was estimated to be complete in 5 to 7 months, but I've seen reports of delivery exceeding original expectations. As long as it arrives some time next summer I should have plenty of time to be ready for a fall hunt. I'll update the thread as the build progresses and I receive it.

Last edited:

daddie63

WKR
sounds like a kick ass set up to me. Looking forward to following along your updates. Congrats on the physical condition improvement.

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
Fierce uses standard twist rates right? That might be a downside to shooting heavies in fierce’s 7mm barrel.

2five7

WKR
Fierce uses standard twist rates right? That might be a downside to shooting heavies in fierce’s 7mm barrel.
Pretty sure that gun uses an 8.5 twist, plenty fast for anything up to 195s

kaboku68

WKR
Ask the Wasilla Sportsman's Warehouse to put in request of transfer for the Fierce CT Edge in 28 Nosler that is at Fairbanks Store 145. It is at clearance at 2199.99. That is a steal. I have a Fierce CT Edge in 28 Nosler with a Z5 Swarovski 3-18X44 Sheep Hunter. It is a sweetheart.

Jardo

WKR
Keep. Us posted on load development. That rifle should shoot well for you.

I do prefer 30 cal for long range elk but I’ve killed a few at 500. - 600 yards with a 280 ai and whole truck load at 200 or less with a 270 win.

My advice for long range hunting is to wear the barrel out with practice. Shoot it as often as you can in varying conditions and you’ll figure how the the bullet reacts to the conditions. Pay attention to your first shot at at the range. Anyone can walk in a long shot... consistently hitting your target first shot is the key to being an ethical long-range hunter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Kay9Cop

Kay9Cop

FNG
Ask the Wasilla Sportsman's Warehouse to put in request of transfer for the Fierce CT Edge in 28 Nosler that is at Fairbanks Store 145. It is at clearance at 2199.99. That is a steal. I have a Fierce CT Edge in 28 Nosler with a Z5 Swarovski 3-18X44 Sheep Hunter. It is a sweetheart.

Thanks for the tip, but the one in Fairbanks is just a Ti Edge, not a CT Edge. There’s one in Portland, but for about the same price I can get one just like I want it...just have to wait for it, which is killing me.