getting fed up

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great to hear FTF. Hopefully that'll fix it right up ya and it'll work like a champ. If not consider the rei xt 85 pack as a possible alternative for only 300 bones it may be just what you are looking for.

dotman

WKR
well, spoke with the folks there at wilderness packs and they said that while most people never have a problem with the belt i have people who routinely pack 80+lbs should use their upgraded belt that uses an abs sheet and heavier lumbar padding. so they are sending that out to me, we'll see if that helps

Might be a simple easy fix :)

Rizzy

WKR
Its good that the company is working with you, that will be cheaper than buying a new pack for now. It will probably at least solve the problem for the short term. It kind of sounds like you want a Kifaru pack anyways. Start selling and saving now it will be a good investment. One of the things I really notice with my KU3700 versus my other packs is how much better my back feels at the end of a trip.

stephen b

WKR
I would recommend a Kifaru pack like the others have mentioned.

But...... I do know of a solution (but it takes some modification and use of other companies products to work) for that exact pack that you have- because prior to getting a Kifaru, I used a Wilderness Pack frame and bag and still have one. I also have used a Mystery Ranch Nice frame and still have a Dana Design ext. frame that I use some.

I have experienced the same thing that you have with the WPS frame WB (waistbelt)- and I feel it is one of the main weak points of the frame. The frame is good if you can use a better WB. I hope what they send to you works- and they are great people to deal with.

I have previously tried a Blacks Creek WB and sh. straps with some success, but not the greatest and not ideal.

So what is the solution- I got a Kifaru G2 frame because on advice from someone that thought in their opinion the duplex waist was the best thing going for the whole Kifaru line up. This individual figured out how to put the Kifaru belt on the Dana Design external and make that frame even better. And his brother has used the Kifaru waist belt on a REI 85 XT and it makes that pack even better. I can vouch for this being the case because I have tried the Kifaru WB on both the DD ext and a REI 85 XT.

What I came up with that makes that Molle frame that WPS uses SO MUCH better is a Kifaru WB put inside the Lumbar pad of the DD ext. that I have. Only reason I tried it was I have the Kifaru MMR Duplex frame and I still have the DD ext. One day I thought, I wonder how that Kifaru WB would work on the Molle composite frame? As I still like to use that Molle frame when going through brush as it is a lower profile than a taller pack. Plus I have real quiet pack bags that go on the Molle frame. Plus I like to tinker a bit and find out if I can use something else and make it better.

I had to use the DD ext WB lumbar pad because I can not take and use the the lumbar pad off the Kifaru frame. So I put the Kifaru WB right inside the lumbar pad holder of the DD WB. I will tell you that now that Molle frame has a much better WB than what WPS sells.

The only reason it worked for me practically is because I already had the other packs anyways. But if you ever picked up a DD ext. frame or even a WB off one and combine that with a Kifaru duplex WB ( which you can buy separately ) - you will make that Molle frame a lot better. I know if Kifaru made WB's and shoulder harnesses dedicated for those Molle frames- they would would be the best system ever designed for those frames and tons better than anything that the military suppliers are using for those frames at this time.

OP
fillthefreezer
new waist belt showed up today. this one has a nice abs reinforcement throughout. ill throw it on tonight and put it through the paces, hopefully it works well.
im thinking i will throw my two sets of chains in there and see how she handles it

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I hope that new waist belt takes care of your issues and you have a great hunting season!

How many of you guys use packs that utilize the MOLLE frame like this? I have been forced to use that in the Army for the past 6 years and off and on prior to that. Never could stand it, give me a good aluminum external frame or an internal frame pack any day and I will be one happy camper but that MOLLE never could handle the weight and weighed too much in my opinion for what it is.