Getting away from higher end clothes.

SonnyDay

WKR
I had zipper problems with the Wranglers after a few weeks of occasional wear… the fly zipper is really tiny (meaning the gauge of the zipper itself, not the size of the opening... haha!). Open fly might cut it in the woods but not so much around town!

Lando

WKR
I'd check out the Orvis pants at Costco (fleece lined and unlined) and also the Denali pants at Sam's referenced earlier are great.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I am not necessarily getting away from higher end clothes more so than I am getting away from higher end pricing.

I grew up in the days of going up and down the mountains in a pair of Walls bibs or Wrangler jeans, and modern hunting clothes are just so much more comfortable both in the hike/sit and the temperature regulation aspects. I've bought the Sitka, KUIU, First Lite, and I'll still wear those brands but I look at sales and closeouts, eBay and the classifieds here. The Kings XKG line (XKG is their high end lineup) is an excellent option if you want quality hunting gear at a cheaper price, especially their closeouts. I've been wearing the Kings Preacher 2.0 and Ridge pants and they are every bit as comparable to a Sitka Mountain or KUIU Attack pant. Heck, right now Kings has their XKG Elevation Hoodie on sale for $25! By far the best deal going I've found on an excellent base layer. You can also grab one of their XKG Boulder Vests for $50! I highly recommend both pieces for a killer value!

ddrrbb

FNG
Scouring the various outdoor and discount sites will yield some very good deals.
I was happy to stumble upon Eddie Bauer's Guide Pro 4S Trekker pants. It doesn't look like there's much in stock now in summer. It's a stretchy softshell with leg vents. I paid $33 during one of their neverending sales.
And, of course, always keep and eye on camofire. Sitka at half price still seems high to me, but they had Ambient hoodies in the Spring for about 50% off which is a relatively good value.
Additionally, steepandcheap has plenty of gear that is usable for hunting (colors may not be very hunter friendly, but does the color of your base layer pants really matter?) I bought some Zamberlan boots off there a year ago for 50% off.

P Carter

WKR
Scouring the various outdoor and discount sites will yield some very good deals.
I was happy to stumble upon Eddie Bauer's Guide Pro 4S Trekker pants. It doesn't look like there's much in stock now in summer. It's a stretchy softshell with leg vents. I paid $33 during one of their neverending sales.
And, of course, always keep and eye on camofire. Sitka at half price still seems high to me, but they had Ambient hoodies in the Spring for about 50% off which is a relatively good value.
Additionally, steepandcheap has plenty of gear that is usable for hunting (colors may not be very hunter friendly, but does the color of your base layer pants really matter?) I bought some Zamberlan boots off there a year ago for 50% off.
Not to derail the thread too much, but how do you like those EB pants? I’ve been looking at them but never pulled the trigger. Would be interested in the weight/thickness, effectiveness of vents, and the fit.

ddrrbb

FNG
Not to derail the thread too much, but how do you like those EB pants? I’ve been looking at them but never pulled the trigger. Would be interested in the weight/thickness, effectiveness of vents, and the fit.
They weigh 14.8 oz compared to Kuiu Kutana's 13.3 (poly vs nylon, so not apples to apples, but similar pant). The leg vents are more perforated mesh, but they work (10" long). Front pockets have the same perforated mesh material. The vents behind the knee are about 1"x6" so they may help marginally. Slightly athletic fit (not baggy), but stretchy (fits like the Kutana but a bit looser in the calf area). 1 back right pocket only is a bummer for me. Good cooler weather pant where you may need to dump some heat, but softshell material so pretty warm and wind resistant. Quality is good. If you get things at 50% off or clearance, EB is a really good value on most of the stuff I've tried.

P Carter

WKR
They weigh 14.8 oz compared to Kuiu Kutana's 13.3 (poly vs nylon, so not apples to apples, but similar pant). The leg vents are more perforated mesh, but they work (10" long). Front pockets have the same perforated mesh material. The vents behind the knee are about 1"x6" so they may help marginally. Slightly athletic fit (not baggy), but stretchy (fits like the Kutana but a bit looser in the calf area). 1 back right pocket only is a bummer for me. Good cooler weather pant where you may need to dump some heat, but softshell material so pretty warm and wind resistant. Quality is good. If you get things at 50% off or clearance, EB is a really good value on most of the stuff I've tried.
Thanks!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I had to pay up today. Went to buy some base layer pants and having never been disappointed with Russell Athletic I ended up exchanging them for Under Armor for an extra $25. Not wanting a compression fit I sized up to an xl which looked perfect holding them up in the store. They fit was awful, waist was more of a 2x and medium size legs plus they were extremely low rise. The UA was spot on plus they have a perforated material in the crotch and no seems across the butt.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Well I had to pay up today. Went to buy some base layer pants and having never been disappointed with Russell Athletic I ended up exchanging them for Under Armor for an extra $25. Not wanting a compression fit I sized up to an xl which looked perfect holding them up in the store. They fit was awful, waist was more of a 2x and medium size legs plus they were extremely low rise. The UA was spot on plus they have a perforated material in the crotch and no seems across the butt.
Base layers is one area I’m spending money. I’ve probably repeated myself but I will not give up my first lite wool.

ArmyAg97

FNG
I am not necessarily getting away from higher end clothes more so than I am getting away from higher end pricing.

I grew up in the days of going up and down the mountains in a pair of Walls bibs or Wrangler jeans, and modern hunting clothes are just so much more comfortable both in the hike/sit and the temperature regulation aspects. I've bought the Sitka, KUIU, First Lite, and I'll still wear those brands but I look at sales and closeouts, eBay and the classifieds here. The Kings XKG line (XKG is their high end lineup) is an excellent option if you want quality hunting gear at a cheaper price, especially their closeouts. I've been wearing the Kings Preacher 2.0 and Ridge pants and they are every bit as comparable to a Sitka Mountain or KUIU Attack pant. Heck, right now Kings has their XKG Elevation Hoodie on sale for $25! By far the best deal going I've found on an excellent base layer. You can also grab one of their XKG Boulder Vests for $50! I highly recommend both pieces for a killer value!

These look great, thanks for the heads up. Would be hard to beat my KETL Mtn nofry, but this is less than half the price of a nofry.

So as not to derail the thread, I bought an ASAT leafy suit probably 7-8 years ago and stopped buying anything in camo, opens up a lot of options. Still though, generally speaking pick 2 of these 3 cheap/light/bombproof. I also find hunting brands generally quieter, but fairly often the difference is negligible.

I think this probably just depends on what you're doing. Context is king as with everything. If you're just doing day hunts in September in a relatively mild climate then I think you can pretty much get by with anything. If you're spending time in the backcountry then it may be worth re-evaluating as I do think it could impact your comfort levels. I see lots of comments on pants - I would think those are the easiest things to buy in terms of getting away from high end stuff. You don't need $250 Sitka pants to hunt. I do think some of the higher end stuff can be much better at moving moisture, though, specifically for upper body base layers and outer wear. This could make a pretty big difference in comfort level if you're spending multiple days in the field. It could be the difference between going to bed with some residual moisture vs dry. I love flannel shirts, but I'm not wearing one to hike around in all day if I can have a grid fleece or the newer active insulation stuff.

For me, the best middle ground has been to buy stuff used.

Yeah, I'm just a day hunter in the South East, some of the prices of quality camo is extraordinary. I can get cold on a stand, but I'll try to tough it out for the prices.

I went to a battery vest this past year, loved that. I generally hunt in just BDU's until the weather gets cooler, switch to some older Cabelas hydro suede pants and add some "cheap" merino base layers top and bottom. I can hunt most all days. If it really gets bad, I have some very old heavy wool military pants bought when there were actually army/navy stores, those things only come out a few times a year.