Getting away from higher end clothes.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
No. I’ve used quite a bit of Eddie Bauer clothing, guide pro pants and the insulated ones have been top notch. I also have one of the cirrus lite down jackets from them and it’s been a great piece of gear that I got on sale for around $40
I’ve got a pair of the fleece lined ones on my watch list on eBay. I may pull the trigger now. I seen those jackets and they look nice as well

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Right, I wear one of those legendary whitetail fleece shirts a lot as well. I don't have anything against hunting clothing brands but they mostly way overprice. I did pick up a sitka equinox guard set this spring (on a great sale) and I wish I had years ago for buggy early season hunts. Mosquitos love me but that stuff actually works. Something like that if it makes a difference I'll buy it...
I don’t have anything against them. Between me losing weight and noticing that sometimes the only difference I notice in the fabric of the brands is the color. Got me to thinking when k had to start buying new clothes.

Weldor

WKR
Check out Truewerks, they have pants that are for 3 season's. summer ,fall ,winter. I tried a pair of the mediums, worked great from 25 degree's to 75.

wesfromky

WKR
Pants I don't think it matters all that much. For tops, and esp for jackets, the "hunting" companies tend cut them so that they don't bind when you draw a bow or shoulder a rifle.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Pants I don't think it matters all that much. For tops, and esp for jackets, the "hunting" companies tend cut them so that they don't bind when you draw a bow or shoulder a right
I still have an under armour down and kuiu jacket. I will wear them always. Mostly my pants and mid layers I shrunk out of.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like the eddie bauer pants for around the property, town etc. I tried hunting in them and they just don't hold up.
I have 2 pair now that from home use/regular wear need new zippers, and the pocket stitching redone. Again, they are great, but not for hunting.

Apparel tops is where I think you can save some money, but not on pants. I'd stick with the known performers.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I really like the eddie bauer pants for around the property, town etc. I tried hunting in them and they just don't hold up.
I have 2 pair now that from home use/regular wear need new zippers, and the pocket stitching redone. Again, they are great, but not for hunting.

Apparel tops is where I think you can save some money, but not on pants. I'd stick with the known performers.
I hope mine last a bit longer considering I rarely wear any hunting item for every day use. It’s for hunting/scouting or it’s in the tote. I dont double use boots or anything. I have hunting boots, work boots and then everyday. Same with pants jackets and so forth and so on. Don’t even wear the same hats for work and everyday. Same with glasses. I have work glasses and everyday glasses. Maybe it’s how I can keep things longer and not beat to death to badly.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Here lately I been off loading allot of clothes due to losing 36 pounds. When I’ve went to replace them. I’ve been replacing my pants with ATG/eddie Bauer guide pro pants and some jackets with a wind shirt and fleece button up shirt. I kept a few things such as under armour down, and first lite base layers. Went with solid earth tones and flannel patterns. Has anyone found any downside to lower price range clothes when they have had the hunting brands prior? So far the pants have been really nice.
Wrangler flex cargo pants more durable than the Tiburon pants from Kuiu for a fraction of the price. These wranglers are perfect for hot weather when it’s over 85 degrees

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Wrangler flex cargo pants more durable than the Tiburon pants from Kuiu for a fraction of the price. These wranglers are perfect for hot weather when it’s over 85 degrees
I’m hoping I can get them down quite a bit lower. I have kiln and furnace zip offs. Then transfer into the fleece lined ones.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Good for u. Good luck with the atg

Didnt say they were. Im just saying. Your 5 miles in and the crotch blows out. Have fun trekking back. Know I don't carry an extra set along.
Ummm I’ve worn these pants doing commercial construction work which is waay harder on pants than a back country hunt and they actually held up damn fine. This is several pairs. I’d have no problem using these as a primary early season type pant. One things for sure, you definitely don’t need to spend 2-300$ on pants to have durable reliable pants. Not saying you shouldn’t spend that much but it’s definitely not on my priority list at all

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m really liking this new active insulation “alpha, evolve” and I swear there’s some house brands too. Recently picked up one from Outdoor Research that is mapped with regular grid fleece to reduce sweat and over heating in some areas. Also it’s amazing that I could actually see sweat accumulated on the out side but dry inside, this stuff actually works. I found it for 60%off but after this morning I would pay msrp if I didn’t have the time to shop around for a sale. One day we might have generic versions of this stuff.

Like someone mentioned before rain gear is a tough one to go cheap with. Non hunting brands can be found on really good deals which is probably the best value for most needs.

You will be fine with the switch.

The pants in my profile pic are prAna Brions, basically the same fabric as the wrangler ATGs. I paid $40 bucks for this pair, I think? I have worn this pair on multiple sheep hunts, back pack hunts, deer hunts, fishing trips, work trips, and a wedding or two. They hold up.

Same for the flannel shirt I am wearing.

The only thing I have noticed since not wearing "hunting brands" is I get trapped in fewer conversations with other hunters at the bar or the airport.

There’s a few gems but I think buying used or clearance sales are the best way to go.

Those OV pants are like a slightly lighter attack pant with a some slightly different features, not a bad option.

Are you talking about the Satu pants from Outdoor Vitals?
How’s sizing run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched from hunting brands to regular outdoor brands. It also helps that my town has an outdoor consignment store so I can by clothing and goods much cheaper.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gloves, I’ve had great success with generic brands from Costco, Walmart.

kad11

WKR
When it comes to pants I have yet to find a decent pair of quality active outdoor pants with zippered hip or thigh vents other than top dollar hunting pants which is a deal breaker for me. If anybody knows of any let me know.
The sizing is very European, but Montane Terra pants have been my go to for the past 5ish seasons. They have several different variants, but the ones I use have hip vents, zippered fronts pockets and no back or cargo pockets (which I prefer). Very lightweight, quick drying and extremely durable in my experience.

Pn8hall

WKR
I love my EB guide pro pants. I also am a huge fan of the Denali pants from Sams Club. A little heavier weight than the EB but comfy as hell. I work construction and the Sams pants get worn daily. They are crazy durable especially at $15 per pair. I tried some wrangler and found the Denali pants to be better for me.