Georgia black bear hunting

Kanderson

FNG
I have lived in Georgia for over 20 years and have never bear hunted here before. I've hunted black bear bear out west several times. I was wondering if anyone could share their tactics on the best way and time of year to hunt them? Also I know there are some wilderness areas in north Georgia, any help with locations to start looking would also be very helpful.

Thanks

I'm interested in these thoughts as well, I keep hearing that N. Georgia is a great place to find bears but then I'm surprised by a lack of outfitters...

I havent ever hunted N.Ga but live pretty close and know guys that do hunt the areas with most being dog hunting but stalk hunting would definitely be very do-able the Chattahooche-Oconee National Forest areas around the NC/TN/SC borders is the best from what I’ve heard with Warwoman, Suches, Blood Mtn to name a few. Try to find a private owned land for access and camping/scouting…Plenty of bears in this area for sure.

Last edited:
Funny you should post this, I almost started a thread on this the other day. You may or may not find this very helpful (or may already know about it), but there is a Georgia based forum called "gon forum". There is a bear sub forum on there with some extremely knowledgeable hunters. Read through the old threads, read them again, and make a list of notes. Thats what I have done so far anyways.

From doing that, I have learned that September to October is the best time to get on bears in that area. Food is the name of the game. That is the time they are transitioning from soft mass to white oaks. Find the white oaks and you will find the bears. You can listen for them lapping white oaks and put a stalk on them while they are in the tree, or find the freshest sign possible and set up on that.

Take anything I have said for what its worth as I am brand new to hunting bears and this is just information I have gathered from the internet. I will be going on my first N. GA bear hunt this fall. Planning to go 9/14-9/19. If you go after that I would be more than happy to share current info with you.

Funny you should post this, I almost started a thread on this the other day. You may or may not find this very helpful (or may already know about it), but there is a Georgia based forum called "gon forum". There is a bear sub forum on there with some extremely knowledgeable hunters. Read through the old threads, read them again, and make a list of notes. Thats what I have done so far anyways.

From doing that, I have learned that September to October is the best time to get on bears in that area. Food is the name of the game. That is the time they are transitioning from soft mass to white oaks. Find the white oaks and you will find the bears. You can listen for them lapping white oaks and put a stalk on them while they are in the tree, or find the freshest sign possible and set up on that.

Take anything I have said for what its worth as I am brand new to hunting bears and this is just information I have gathered from the internet. I will be going on my first N. GA bear hunt this fall. Planning to go 9/14-9/19. If you go after that I would be more than happy to share current info with you.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know there was a forum on Gon for bears. I also have heard that if you find the white oaks that the bears won't be to far away. Good luck on your hunt.

I will be with two buddies giving it a go for our first season in N GA mtns. We will be around Chattahooche and may check a few other areas around it. Also huge tip on the GON forum. great stuff there.

I am one of the guys active in the GON Bear sub-forum. I am no expert, but what I know I learned from that group. Are you posting in the Bear forum?

You are not a new guy though. You have been on the GON forum for years. Just new to bear hunting?

Yes sir. I live in middle Georgia. Have seen several bears from the stand around here, but have wanted to make it up to the mountains and actually hunt them for awhile. Finally trying to stop making excuses and get up there! I have read through all of the bear forum there 5-6 times so far. Have a list of notes made up from the various threads so hopefully I am as prepared as I can be from a couple hundred miles away. All thats left is to put boots on the ground and get my butt kicked.

Anywhere in the Chattahoochee National Forest is prime for bear. Hunt food sources. Nearly every single cam I hang gets atleast a bear or two every 3 or 4 days. I havent targeted a bear since 2011 (successful) but believe this year ill try it again with my recurve. Best of luck

Being a north Georgia local, you're spot on

^^^^^
This is good advice. It’s shaping up to be a good year to get on a bear. There are enough White Oak acorns to hunt, but they are not everywhere so the bears should be a little more concentrated than last year.

^^^^^
This is good advice. It’s shaping up to be a good year to get on a bear. There are enough White Oak acorns to hunt, but they are not everywhere so the bears should be a little more concentrated than last year.
Jbogg, question for you. I noticed that looking at historical harvest records of GA bears, it seems to wax and wane on a year to year basis. A strong peak of bear harvest will be followed by a low year the following year. We are coming off of two low years, so I suspect there will be a lot of bears hitting the ground this season. Do you think this mostly correlates to trends in mast production? Just naturally that if more bears are killed there will be less to hunt the following year? Or something else?

This is my first year bear hunting in South Carolina. Surprisingly there are several good videos on YouTube. I would look there as well as getting advice here.

Jbogg, question for you. I noticed that looking at historical harvest records of GA bears, it seems to wax and wane on a year to year basis. A strong peak of bear harvest will be followed by a low year the following year. We are coming off of two low years, so I suspect there will be a lot of bears hitting the ground this season. Do you think this mostly correlates to trends in mast production? Just naturally that if more bears are killed there will be less to hunt the following year? Or something else?
So that’s a good question, and what they have seen is that in years with heavy mast production harvest numbers typically go down. Last year is a good example. When there are acorns absolutely everywhere the bear can stay in a mountain laurel thicket with food, water, and cover making it much harder for a hunter to connect. I have done a lot of scouting this summer, and I think a lot of guys will be connecting on bear in a few weeks.

Jbogg knows. Seriously though, last year you could skate for miles on red oak acorns. I have never seen anything like it. I took a few 1 sq foot samples in one hollow and determined there were more than a million acorns in a square mile. That sounds impossible, but if you saw it you would not doubt it. I got my first bear last year and had to go into some thick stuff to do it. This year looks different so far. I am unsure about the white oak crop, but as long as there are some white oak acorns in the mountains and you can find them, you will find the bear -- and the deer and the hogs.

Yes sir. I live in middle Georgia. Have seen several bears from the stand around here, but have wanted to make it up to the mountains and actually hunt them for awhile. Finally trying to stop making excuses and get up there! I have read through all of the bear forum there 5-6 times so far. Have a list of notes made up from the various threads so hopefully I am as prepared as I can be from a couple hundred miles away. All thats left is to put boots on the ground and get my butt kicked.

I did the same thing, and it worked, but it took a couple of years for me. In the meantime, I killed two mature mountain bucks, so there is that. It will kick your butt. For me, the worst part is getting back on some ridge and trying to get out through a couple of miles of blowdown. I have learned some of that lesson. there is so much land and I just love to explore, plus, when you bear hunt in the mountains you really have to scout and hunt at the same time. So, I tend to wander too much and it really tears me down. This year I will cut that back because the fatigue is cumulative. I about did myself in at Cohutta last year, and I did not recover till after the season.

Jbogg knows. Seriously though, last year you could skate for miles on red oak acorns. I have never seen anything like it. I took a few 1 sq foot samples in one hollow and determined there were more than a million acorns in a square mile. That sounds impossible, but if you saw it you would not doubt it. I got my first bear last year and had to go into some thick stuff to do it. This year looks different so far. I am unsure about the white oak crop, but as long as there are some white oak acorns in the mountains and you can find them, you will find the bear -- and the deer and the hogs.
I think this could be the best year in probably the last three as far as the acorns go. I am finding some really good pockets of white oaks, but they are definitely not everywhere. I am hearing from guys that are seeing white oak acorns at lower elevations, as well as the higher ones, but there seemed to be an elevation band between 2300’ - 2800’ that was hit by that late frost this spring. It’s all just speculation until the season begins. It still comes down to climbing a mountain and looking for fresh piles of scat.

Back