General Purpose Hunting Boots

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I know I might be looking for a unicorn here, but I'm curious if anyone has any good boot recommendations that work adequately well in a large range of conditions. Currently my daily drivers are either cowboy boots or combat boots, both of which serve a purpose but neither of which are great hunting boots. Furthermore, the next few seasons will see me splitting my hunting time between Alabama and North Dakota and across the full range of waterfowl, upland, and big and small game hunting. As such, I think I want a pair of durable, uninsulated, truly waterproof boots that I can chase squirrels in Alabama with and then hunt deer and pheasants in North Dakota with over the holidays. More specifically, I've looked at the Danner Alsea, Lowa Renegade, and Crispi Idaho/Wyoming boots. Does anyone have any experience with these boots or have any other/better recommendations?
Basically doing what you described from TN to WY to BC with these.

yfarm

WKR
When you evaluate boots decide if you want glued or stitched construction. The latter are very durable but more difficult to waterproof. The glued construction is common in many hiking and hunting boots, heat as in campfires and hot vehicles can cause delamination. This was a pair of new hiking boots with maybe 20 miles that delaminated on a desert sheep hunt 3 hrs from the ranger. Walk out with a quartered sheep and head after emergency construction of a sandal for the remnant of the boot or have hunting partner walk out and return the next day with another pair of boots. Moral: when hunting in dry environments I wear only stitched construction.
note how the rubber rand does not include the sole in this boot. The rubber rand reinforces the boot to sole attachment in many more expensive hiking and hunting boots. That being said when I purchased my Lathrop boots there was a specific warning about heat exposure. They have had boots returned for sole delamination, warranty coverage has been provided and denied on a case by case basis.

Attachments

• 011609CC-D520-4BE1-ADBA-5CF4A5F1DB14.jpeg
    011609CC-D520-4BE1-ADBA-5CF4A5F1DB14.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I have a pair of uninsulated Irish Setter Elk Trackers and they have been awesome boots. They are leather and extremely comfortable. You will need to get the Red Wing Tuff Toe applied to them though as they originally come with exposed leather toes that get chewed up really fast.
Boots.JPG

Attachments

• Boots.JPG
    Boots.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 9

meddlecho

FNG
I really appreciate all the replies from everybody. I think I'll end up going with the Danners because the budget is a little tight right now, but a pair of Crispi boots will probably end up in the closet before long.
I have a pair of the Danner Alsea, have been comfortable and kept my feet dry here in MN! Also have 1200g Vitals and 400g Recurves.