Gear List

CB4

WKR
I just wanted to share my gear list for this year. Any insights are appreciated. Would love to cut some weight but not sure where it would be possible other than maybe 8oz from the cook system and then carrying bear spray vs a gun.

Obviously not included is my food. Generally I have 1 freeze dried meal, 2 different protein type bars (ProBar/Bobo/OneBar), 1 cup of trail mix, homemade breakfast with granola and protein powder. In all it is roughly 2.25lbs / day.

1723220803381.png

Ditch the 1 lb "large knife"...there's no need to be carrying multiple knives, especially not one that heavy.

1 lb seems like a lot for a pillow.

I don't carry a sidearm or spray unless I'm in grizzly territory.

Do you really need a 20,000 mAh battery? You could probably cut the capacity (and weight) in half and still be fine if you're judicious with device usage.

Don't forget to include water in your total weight. Probably ought to have at least a quart of water (2 lbs) on your person at all times.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
You could also cut the weight of the sleeping pad in half for sept use.
Ditch the 1 lb "large knife"...there's no need to be carrying multiple knives, especially not one that heavy.

1 lb seems like a lot for a pillow.

I don't carry a sidearm or spray unless I'm in grizzly territory.

Do you really need a 20,000 mAh battery? You could probably cut the capacity (and weight) in half and still be fine if you're judicious with device usage.

Don't forget to include water in your total weight. Probably ought to have at least a quart of water (2 lbs) on your person at all times.
At a glance, you're carrying 2 lbs worth of knife and pillow?
I am hunting griz country.

The pillow is something I wanted to try and made it buy taking the inflatable part out of a pillow and putting in shredded memory foam. Its super comfortable but also a luxary.

The knife is more of a sentimental item that my wife had made for me and I have used for the last 6 years on every animal. Thats 1lb I will gladly carry.

Recommenations on PAD that is as comfortable? Thats what I struggled with for the first two years was a klymit that was terrible.

This would be expensive and it's too close to season to swap packs now anyway, but if you're counting ounces, Kifaru is not your friend. An Exo or Stone Glacier pack of similar volume would be ≈1.5-2.0 lbs lighter than your 7.5 lb Hoodlum.

Other ways to possibly shave some weight:
  • Take one trekking pole and leave the other in the truck. Retrieve the second pole when you carry out the first meat load.
    • Weight reduction = 8 oz
  • You have 10L of water carrying capacity. Unless you're hunting an area with really sparse water, leave one of the bladders behind.
    • Weight reduction = 6-8 oz
  • Swap the Nalgene bottle for a throw-away 1L bottle from a gas station.
    • Weight reduction = 5 oz
  • If you're dead set on keeping the big knife, leave the little one behind.
    • Weight reduction = 4 oz
Those 4 changes add up to ≈1.5 lbs.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Sleep system seems like the obvious place but not cheap to do. Where/when are you going? 4.5 lbs for pad/quilt/pillow is pretty heavy unless it's gonna be a fairly cold hunt.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
It will be Montana in September for this gear list. I have had an exo pack and didn’t like it as much. My sleep system is my next thing to upgrade and spend money on. I have a diy quilt right now and can cut a pound by buying a down one and obviously a different pad. I will only take one water bladder not both.