gear changes for '14

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
Upgrading my pack, ordered a new one today. Timberline 1. Pretty hard to pass up with the sale.

Will also upgrade my tent and bag this year as well. Both that I have work ok but want to lighten up a bit. Going to get a Big Agnes Scout for tent and haven't decided on a bag yet. Probably a Marmot Plamsa, Western Mountaineering or Z packs are at the top of the list right now. Western Mountaineering ultralite bag, long/wide sold tonight on ebay, NWT for $350. I forgot about it or would probably own that right now.

Also ordered a T-1 today. Underquilt and a fully enclosed hammock shelter for a base camp are also on the list.

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
New tent, hated my quarter dome T1, might fit my 6yr old though!
New clothing, top to bottom. Big fan of wool and flannel and was warm and comfortable EXCEPT when carrying it on my back! Not back packer friendly.
Sleeping pad!

Don't wanna hijack so I will get recommendations on a differnt post at a later date.

lintond

WKR
My boots didn't work out. Tried the UA Speed Freaks, and really liked them, except they were not waterproof by any means. Ended my elk hunt with cold wet feet. :(

I'm open to suggestions for boots! Also hoping to upgrade from the ParaTarp to the super if I can find the $$. Let me know if you have one to unload. :)

rm06

WKR
S4 Gear bino harness will be history come Christmas, hopefully with FHF Gear...

Camelback daypack will be replaced as well, I'm still in the process of researching a nice pack that offers some support other than being a water caddy with some afterthought storage thrown in.

Last edited:

chindits

WKR
Me thinks good rain gear is in order after this wet September in the CO Rockies. I got pushed off my 2nd stalk due to blowing snow and ground fog on opening day of ML. I might re-evaluate my pack, but less is always more for me and I'm not sold on a $600 monster take my meat and camp off the mountain at the same time packs that a lot of you guys favor. I'm too old for them super heavy ruck marches, but I'll give it some thought.

My SMD Havens tarp did me good these last couple of years, but one night on a windy ridge above tree line cost me sleep over worry and double checking every stake and guy line in the middle of that storm. I'm leaning towards a MLD duomid for better wind and snow bearing. Too bad I can't get the GF to embrace tarp tents.

I still love my x-therm pad, WM bag, EE quilt on the milder months, and Elemental Horizons Aquilo on all my pre season scouts.

Last edited:

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
The only item I am looking at for next season is a Kifaru 8 man tipi and stove. It would be nice to have a warm dry place to wait out the heavy rains and dry the gear.

I'm thinking if switching from the sawyer gravity system to a katadyn pro hiker pump filter. The sawyer works well enough but when I can only find shallow creeks its a pain to fill the bigzip 10 times to get a liter of water

I had one of those sawyers and used it for one trip than it went back to REI and I went back to my Katadyn.It takes a bit longer but I can easily make good water out of the tiniest little water hole