Garmin Smartwatches vs Apple

Darryle

WKR
Turn off your AWs screen on raise or at each notification and it will last 4-5 days on a charge. I have the Ultra with cell service and charged it Friday, it's showing 74% right now of continuous wear. I use it for texts alerts, to remote start my vehicle in the afternoons when it's 100º+, quickly answer important texts using personalized canned responses I have uploaded, making or answering calls when my phone is not within convenient access, I use the GPS/compass at the farm or lease for quick marking a way point and survey stake or control point, monitoring airtags, sleep tracking and heart monitoring recording data points every few minutes throughout the night(health related blood issue). What I don't use it for is controlling music, reading emails, security camera image/video review, or anything that is more conveniently handled on my phone.

It took me two watch versions of fine tuning to extend the battery life. I considered the Garmin, bought one for my wife before she passed away since she was an Android user, it had some really nice options that played well with android, but the negatives far outweighed the AW if using an ios device. I believe it was one of the Venu series watches that allowed her to make and receive calls while away from her phone, I will have to dig it out of storage to see for sure, it was a more feminine looking watch than the pure outdoor driven version like the Fenix.

FTR, I had to charge my first AW every other day until I figured out how to extend the life, second watch got better and now with the Ultra, it's 4-5 days between charges. I also use a true handheld Garmin GPS for routing, marking waypoints, tracking or back tracking functions. YMMV.

I have a Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire. It is freaking awesome. I can get 3 weeks out of a charge.

If you want a second phone on your wrist then get the Apple Watch. If you want a fitness watch then get the Garmin. The Apple Watch seems redundant to me considering the iPhone is one foot away in my pocket.

I have a Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire. It is freaking awesome. I can get 3 weeks out of a charge.

If you want a second phone on your wrist then get the Apple Watch. If you want a fitness watch then get the Garmin. The Apple Watch seems redundant to me considering the iPhone is one foot away in my pocket.

Personally I think the biggest draw of the apple watch is being able to keep your iphone in your pocket or away from you. When I'm wrenching in the garage or doing yardwork I can efficiently reply/read/dismiss without needing my phone often. With my Fenix I just get notifications that I need to drop what I'm doing and pick up my phone...

HTNFSH

FNG
Been a Garmin guy for a couple decades so I'm biased. I have no interest in the Dick Tracy/007 talking through my watch.

Had the Fenix 3 and 6x. Just picked up the Epix pro and love it. Music on the go without carrying my phone (spotify downloads) is very cool.

I track all my fitness through the Garmin ecosystem and enjoy it. Battery life on the pro 51mm is pretty good. (7-15 days)

As an outdoor sports watch, there us no comparison to the higher end Garmins.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Fenix 6 I use as a fitness tracker/GPS. I have no desire to turn on any phone/text notifications.

I think what was said earlier was accurate Garmin=fitness tracking GPS first, phone and text features second. Apple watch seems to be opposite. Pick the primary features you want and let that be your guide.

Battery life on the Garmin is awesome, which was huge driving factor for me, I do a lot of long distance running, so tracking would eat up battery life. The Fenix lasts a long time on a charge even when using GPS.

I have a Garmin Fenix 7s and love it but the right one really depends what you're using it for. Are you looking for a smart watch with some fitness capabilities? Then Apple Watch may be your best bet. Or, a fitness watch with some smart watch capabilities? In that case Garmin.

I was more focused on fitness being the purpose behind my watch and I've been very happy with what Garmin provides. The battery lasts much longer so you can go on long adventures (i.e. camping) without charging it. The Apple Watch has a lot of cool things but for the fitness side it seems like I would have to download a bunch of different apps to get all the functionality I wanted but with Garmin it's out of the box setup for fitness tracking.

Jack84

FNG
Classified Approved
I use a iPhone and like my Garmin watch. Never tried a Apple Watch.

3Esski

FNG
My garmin instinct works great for my needs and lasts a ling time before battery dies. I bought a samsung galaxy 5 but it sits in the drawer, only watch better i've tried is my g shock.

Ive used the instinct since they came out, tried the fenix series twice, and just prefer the lighter weight, simpler to operate Instinct. Currently have the Instinct 2X, which feels on wrist about the same size as the regular sized fenix watches.

I cant say anything about the apple watch appeals to me, but the Instinct 2X tactical does everything I need. The flashlight on the 2X (especially with the green light option on the tactical) is way brighter than youd expect and comes in handly more than you might think.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on android so I've only used garmin watches (instinct solar and fenix 7), however my wife uses an apple watch.

Obviously battery life is a draw for garmin watches, so if you're optimizing for that, the garmin wins. My wife is always forgetting to charge her apple watch (a couple years old version) and it's dead more often than not.

The typical comparison is that garmin is better as a sports watch and apple is better as a smart watch, however I think apple has made some serious strides in their sports and health tracking. I don't think the garmin tracks routes any more accurately than the apple watch and I think the apple watch's heart rate sensor is on par with or surpasses the garmin's. I doubt anyone can notice a difference between the output of either to say one is better than the other, or if the increased resolution can change your behavior in a meaningful way.

Looks matter too, and I hate the look of apple watches, so even if I had an iphone, I may still be using the garmin.

Piranha37

FNG
Love my Garmin Fenix Sapphire. I use it with the Garmin connect app constantly. I generally have no problems interactions between the watch and iPhone. I will note you will get your activity and Health alerts through Garmin app, not your apple apps. The other thing is durability. I’ve put my Garmin through a lot, hit it on rocks, scraped between rock edges trying to retrieve dropped items through a rock crevice; there are no scratches on my watch face. It’s amazing how durable it is. The only thing I changes was buying a nylon watch band through Garmin because the silicon bands would only last about a year or so for me.

bb1

FNG
Garmin battery life is the most significant difference. What you lose in compatibility (ease of controlling music and respond in to texts), you gain in fitness metrics, sleep tracking, etc. The epix pro also has the amoled screen which makes the transition from an Apple Watch a bit easier. Bonus is the flashlight which can toggled between white and red light

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Garmin battery life is the most significant difference. What you lose in compatibility (ease of controlling music and respond in to texts), you gain in fitness metrics, sleep tracking, etc. The epix pro also has the amoled screen which makes the transition from an Apple Watch a bit easier. Bonus is the flashlight which can toggled between white and red light
I looked at the Epix pretty heavily and ultimately decided that if I’m making the switch, I’d rather max out my battery life. And based on what I’ve seen, the solar Fenix does a lot better in that aspect

For those of you using a Garmin watch with an iPhone, how has it performed?

I am looking to upgrade my 4th gen Apple Watch and have been considering the Garmin Fenix or Epix but have hesitations about moving to the Garmin. Have you guys noticed any interface issues between iOS and Garmin or do they play well together?

One thing I like about the Apple Watch in general is how seamless it works with notifications/calendar events/etc, but the battery life of the Garmin and additional features have me interested.
I have a Fenix 5x and I like it. Not having to charge it all week is an absolute win. I also like how it’s not so seamless with the notifications and stuff as the Apple Watch. I always feel lazy doing everything on the Apple Watch and not having to take my phone out to do things and reply to messages and stuff.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I have a garmin instinct, it's great for simple things, but not very accurate. It often doesnt recognize steps or distance when moving slow, hell even sometimes when trail running. But battery lasts forever, I use the face for time, barometer trends, sunrise/sunset and heart rate. The ability to mark a gps point in a pinch is great, gets you close enough.

I do not do phone notifications, but it's seamlessly hooked up to the phone. No real complaints.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Turn off your AWs screen on raise or at each notification and it will last 4-5 days on a charge. I have the Ultra with cell service and charged it Friday, it's showing 74% right now of continuous wear. I use it for texts alerts, to remote start my vehicle in the afternoons when it's 100º+, quickly answer important texts using personalized canned responses I have uploaded, making or answering calls when my phone is not within convenient access, I use the GPS/compass at the farm or lease for quick marking a way point and survey stake or control point, monitoring airtags, sleep tracking and heart monitoring recording data points every few minutes throughout the night(health related blood issue). What I don't use it for is controlling music, reading emails, security camera image/video review, or anything that is more conveniently handled on my phone.

It took me two watch versions of fine tuning to extend the battery life. I considered the Garmin, bought one for my wife before she passed away since she was an Android user, it had some really nice options that played well with android, but the negatives far outweighed the AW if using an ios device. I believe it was one of the Venu series watches that allowed her to make and receive calls while away from her phone, I will have to dig it out of storage to see for sure, it was a more feminine looking watch than the pure outdoor driven version like the Fenix.

FTR, I had to charge my first AW every other day until I figured out how to extend the life, second watch got better and now with the Ultra, it's 4-5 days between charges. I also use a true handheld Garmin GPS for routing, marking waypoints, tracking or back tracking functions. YMMV.

What is an AW screen?

I tried twice to like the Apple Watch but the daily charging was annoying and pretty much useless to take to the Backcountry. Garmin Instict Solar was great in the backcountry but ugly as sun and gigantic and I wouldn’t wear daily.

Like other folks have said, they really aren't comparable. The Apple Watch is an extension of your iPhone, with some fitness/GPS features as a near afterthought. The Garmin is a fitness/GPS watch with phone interface as a distant afterthought.

I love my Garmin Fenix 6 and have no intent to switch, but I don't have it set for phone notifications at all. I use the fitness and mapping features. I do use the Garmin App, but don't have notifications, etc turned on. The battery life is also stellar.

Robate

FNG
+1 for Garmin. I have a Forerunner 945 and love it. Integration/performance paired with an iPhone has been great. I don’t have texts/calls/emails/calendar linked with my watch though, I get enough of that on my phone.

If it’s fitness you’re after Garmin blows apple out of the water. It integrates to Strava and Training Peaks way better that apple. GPS/HR data is more accurate on a Garmin in my experience. There’s no Garmin integration for Peloton but there are ways around it using RunGap app to manually upload workouts.