Garmin instinct 2 tactical vs Fenix

KHNC

WKR
OP
ddavis_1313
For the inreach mini connected to the instinct 2 solar tactical.

The reference point in navigation is going to be a great feature for shooting animals right at last light, long range, in thick terrain or mountainous terrain where not being able to keep last know location of animal in sight at all times.

Pretty cool to be able to line up the watch and set the direction then add in distance )plus or minus 10 ft at longer range) and start walking. It literally gives you deviation in degrees as you walk.

Now if I could figure out how to set a waypoint. lol.

Waypoints in the watch would be back up redundancy to onX.

I haven’t set up the applied ballistics yet mainly bc I have a kestrel 5700 elite I carry with me and a dope chart on the rifle. Maybe eventually I’ll set it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vince_n

FNG
I've owned the first model of the Garmin Instinct Solar since 2021. Recently it has started dying randomly regardless of battery life. Only way to turn it back on is to plug it back in which is not an option when out in the woods.

There are a lot of forums that discuss this issue. I reached out to Garmin and they offered to replace my watch with a recertified one. However they could not verify that the recertified one would not have the same issue.

Not sure if the Instinct 2 has the same issue. But the issue my Instinct Solar has would give me hesitation to purchase any Garmin watch. I can provide more details regarding email correspondence with Garmin . Feel free to PM me.

OP
ddavis_1313
I've owned the first model of the Garmin Instinct Solar since 2021. Recently it has started dying randomly regardless of battery life. Only way to turn it back on is to plug it back in which is not an option when out in the woods.

There are a lot of forums that discuss this issue. I reached out to Garmin and they offered to replace my watch with a recertified one. However they could not verify that the recertified one would not have the same issue.

Not sure if the Instinct 2 has the same issue. But the issue my Instinct Solar has would give me hesitation to purchase any Garmin watch. I can provide more details regarding email correspondence with Garmin . Feel free to PM me.

I bought the instinct 2 solar tactical. Definitely liking it so far. Sucks having it connected to my phone. Tooooo many notifications lol

vince_n

FNG
I bought the instinct 2 solar tactical. Definitely liking it so far. Sucks having it connected to my phone. Tooooo many notifications lol

Agreed. Turn 'battery save' mode on and you will not get notifications.

vince_n

FNG
What functions will this limit?

What's pretty handy is that you can modify the 'Battery Save' mode to turn on/off different functions. Here are a couple of helpful links:

You can even create your own custom power modes. I am fairly certain that there's a way to turn off only your notifications and maintain all other functionality of the watch.

Try this link:

Or this one

Good luck!

Not sure about the 2, but on my 2x I can manually select each and every app on my phone that I want my watch to notify of. Like I have my 2x set to only notify of texts, calls, calender and an app for calls at work. That's it.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

OP
ddavis_1313
Not sure about the 2, but on my 2x I can manually select each and every app on my phone that I want my watch to notify of. Like I have my 2x set to only notify of texts, calls, calender and an app for calls at work. That's it.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

So have the 2x as well, I’ve been turning off notification ons my phone so I don’t get them on my watch as well. I don’t mind them on my phone. I just don’t want my wrist buzzing all day. lol

OP
ddavis_1313
What's pretty handy is that you can modify the 'Battery Save' mode to turn on/off different functions. Here are a couple of helpful links:

You can even create your own custom power modes. I am fairly certain that there's a way to turn off only your notifications and maintain all other functionality of the watch.

Try this link:

Or this one

Good luck!

Awesome. I’ll dig into these later today!

vince_n

FNG
Awesome. I’ll dig into these later today!

One last tip if those links don't help: you can manage your notification settings on your watch through the Garmin Connect app. If you don't have the app, I suggest you download it. It will show you different metrics that your watch is gathering through the day/week/month.

OP
ddavis_1313
One last tip if those links don't help: you can manage your notification settings on your watch through the Garmin Connect app. If you don't have the app, I suggest you download it. It will show you different metrics that your watch is gathering through the day/week/month.

I have the app, just haven’t messed with it yet.