Garmin Inreach vs??

Blandry

WKR
Don't need the functions.... just SOS.. is this the best device for only SOS if I really get into a situation?

I'm tired of trying to pair it with my phone, earthmate, etc... just need SOS in a situation I can hit SOS.

Is it the least expensive option?

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Is there a fee with ACR reqQlink? Just checked.. I just need SOS, no need for family tracking, texting, etc...

My iphone 11 keeps disconnecting bluetooth to the inreach and I'm done with it...if i was in an emergency situation it would be useless..

BBob

WKR
Is there a fee with ACR reqQlink?

No

My iphone 11 keeps disconnecting bluetooth to the inreach and I'm done with it...if i was in an emergency situation it would be useless..

You should be able to punch the sos button on the inReach itself with no need to be tethered to a phone.

Before inReach I used to carry an early model of the ACR.

Last edited:
OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
yes, but there are fee less options..IF I'm understanding correctly? i don't need to have a broken back in the backcountry and SOS doesn't work.

Last edited:
OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I guess my question should be modified.. can you SOS from the garmin w/o a paid plan? the garmin is fantastic if you need to text friends, family/friends tracking, SOS, eathmate etc.. but if you only need SOS.

I have a garmin delta bravo watch with GPS, trackback, breadcrumbs, all the functions the inreach has other than texts and earthmate.. don't need it with this watch..

So it wouldn't be 'useless' i just don't need to maintain a plan for sos.. if that makes sense...

Last edited:
OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
No. You must have an active subscription for the SOS function to work.
Yes, with the Garmin, but if i'm understanding correctly, the resQlink is free SOS..or is there a free SOS plan? maybe myself or the others aren't understanding...

BBOB said it's free. free as a bird.. lol

I just need an SOS beacon..

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Yes, with the Garmin, but if i'm understanding correctly, the resQlink is free SOS..or is there a free SOS plan? maybe myself or the others aren't understanding...

Correct but the $300 ish price of the ACR would pay for a fair amount of subscription fees. Something to think about. The ACR battery also needs to be changed out every 5 years I believe and that’s ~$40 if you do it yourself. If you send it in it’s a fair amount more. When I carried mine self replacement batteries were not available but they are now.

Not trying to talk you out of it just bringing up some thoughts :)

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I'm just trying to cut some costs.. you know gas prices are about to explode, I live in colorado, world war III and all lol.

I do some backcountry hunts every off year but it's mainly trout fishing/ice fishing now days... everything is getting more expensive. I typically suspend my garmin plan in the offseason but still carry my inreach even w/o a plan.

Now I know it's prob useless... I need something I can SOS with year round...

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
From what I'm reading PLB's are free, just have register or it's useless.

There are no subscriptions required, the only thing required is to register your beacon with your national authority (it's Free). We do offer a testing subscription service called www.406link.com (USA Only), but its optional only if you want to receive testing confirmation via email/SMS text message.

The Garmin's require a subscription..confirmed..

Your inReach 300434035260130 has a pending suspension on Mar 4.

*Note:* The device will NOT function for SOS while suspended.

This change can be altered or canceled prior to Mar 4 at https://explore.garmin.com.

Need assistance? Visit our support site.
https://support.garmin.com

I'd hate for anyone to die in the backcountry because they're unaware...

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Something to consider...

The SOS function will tell search and rescue who you are, where you are and who to contact for emergencies when you push the button

But having the device paired to your phone will give you the option to tell rescuers what the problem is. Where to land a helo etc...

Depending upon your emergency, they may arrive with the incorrect equipment to help.

I would figure out why it is unpairing. I have a Samsung and when I look at my bluetooth connections it doesn't show that is connected. But when I look on the App it shows connected.

It does send messages better than it receives. For whatever reason, the Inreach will get a message but not pop up on my phone occasionally. If I close down and restart the App it will then receive the notification.

Not perfect by any means, but better than Sat phone and a useful tool to communicate back home.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Yes, you make some great points. The text function is nice. However, at $15/mo and having to suspend/unsuspend in the 'off' season, I was just thinking it would better serve me to have something that's SOS functional at all times. Then again, $180 year is probably a small price to pay if you get into a situation and really need it.

Reactions: ODB

ODB

WKR
Hmm, the resqlink looks like it uses GPS satellites, whereas the inReach is on the iridium network. Clever.

I like and use the inReach. A nice thing on the inReach is that you don’t have to leave it on. Once you hit the SOS button, it turns on and sends the signal. If you aren’t leaving breadcrumbs that battery will last a very long time.

Last edited:

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I am primarily a mariner so very familiar with emergency processes and the mechanics that go with them. I can tell you that if you use a PLB, the most common for hikers etc, that 1000's of these go off daily as false alarms. So response is delayed and has to be verified. However if you have an Inreach type transmitter than you can tell them you are 'real' right off the bat and provide details of your incident. Plus you can receive comms from your rescuers. A huge difference with a small price to pay for that feature.

LOB39

FNG
No, its not the least expensive option out there. But I do love mine, I have the garmin inreach mini. I love being able to turn the subscription for it on/off whenever i want so i don't have to lock in $150 or so a year for it. It has performed very reliably.