Garmin inReach user question

I have an inReach mini 2 that is only a few years old. I am not very savvy with it's use. And I am most often disappointed when I attempt to use it.

My question is on pairing and usage with iPhone. I have an orange/grey icon on my phone for the Garmin Explore app. Shows messages, devices, etc.

I THINK this is the most up to date App for usage? I have updated my device just a few weeks ago.

My questions stems from wanting to use the device paired to my iPhone when out of service.

I keep getting errors "Must be signed in to Explore".

I can effectively send my pre written check in messages fine. And I can peck away and text a custom message from the device itself. But utilizing it via iPhone is almost always a Fail. Do I literally need to make sure I am signed in to Garmin Explore before I ever lose cell service and never close the app in order to use the App for communication?

Additionally....two weeks ago I attempted to check in and use the inReach.....spun FOREVER. No tree canopy, but socked in cloud cover. As I was driving a logging road waiting for the inReach to send my iPhone passed a random cell service location and I could text my wife on her way home. Pretty defeating.

BBob

WKR
The Messenger app is far easier and more user friendly than Explore for messaging, software updates and weather requests. Your Mini 2 is compatible with Messenger. I rarely use Explore anymore. Explore has mapping and waypoints and such. I don't use that because I have a dedicated map app. Explore does need to be signed in but it does not have to have cell connectivity to work. Are you sure you are using the same login for Explore as the same for your online account where the device is registered and you pay the bill from? Garmin is weird and fubar on those things. I cannot run a cycling computer on the Connect app on one account and the Mini 2 on Explore from another account on the same phone at the same time. You can only be logged into one or the other if the accounts are different. If Connect is logged in on one account and I log in to Explore on another account the Connect app will cease to communicate. If you have any conflicts like this that could be your issue.

Try the Messaging app and see how it does.

I'll add: I have no conflict running Connect and Messenger at the same time on different accounts.

Last edited:

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried using the Earthmate App for it? I just used mine two weeks ago in the mountains and was able to send text messages with the Earthmate app from my phone and I made waypoints etc.

CJ19

WKR
I use the earthmate app. Its been pretty easy w that app. Pair / unpair.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240905_214619_Earthmate.jpg
    Screenshot_20240905_214619_Earthmate.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 12

BBob

WKR
I don't think Earthmate is compatible with the Mini 2. It's a legacy app for the older devices. The Mini 2 has a new chipset and software and with Messenger became groupchat capable. The flip side is the Mini and other older devices aren't Messenger compatible.

BBob

WKR
As good as Garmin can be they leave a whole lot to be desired across a whole swath of their software and products. FWIW I've only been bitching about this since the GPS 45's came out decades ago.

I can't comment on the Mini 2 or Explore app specifically (I'm using an Explorer+ and Earthmate app), but it might be worthwhile to check the firmware version on your device and update it if needed. I've heard reports of weird behavior with various Garmin devices being cured by firmware updates.

Jethro

WKR
I’m also an Explorer+ with Earthmate guy, but I always thought that with the mini2 you should have Garmin messenger app and Garmin explore app. Messenger app for messages and explore app for maps and data.

Good video at this link. Mini 2 apps

OP
J
I do have Connect for a Fenix watch and Heart Rate Monitor. Somehow the Fenix is also tied to the Explore Ap.

Never heard of Garmin Messenger....I will to download it tonight.

There are a ton of pain in the ass issues. I have a long time email I've used that's personal...but I also run a Commercial Garmin account for my work. It's clunky at best

My firmware was just updated a month ago. I can do it again, but it's not too far out of date. And this has happened (unable to connect to Exlpore Ap) since I've purchased the unit.