Garmin inReach necessity

CP6

FNG
I have one as well as a sat phone. Use the Garmin a lot. The app allows you to text from your phone and the cost is nominal for unlimited texts for one month (just remember to turn the service off or you’ll keep paying...been there). It worked flawlessly in Argentina on a stag hunt when we were in the mountains for two weeks. I’ve never had an issue stateside or most places abroad (couldn’t use in Cuba, but that’s not the device or service...that’s Cuba).

Gumbo

WKR
I considered an InReach after my PLB battery died, I even bought one then returned it for another PLB. I think I'd rather have a stronger signal and reach out for the govt to come get me instead of some private folks who are also trying to sell me an insurance policy under the threat of an expensive cost of rescue. Ultimately my wife is cool with thinking I'm OK unless the beacon is deployed, and she has a good network of folks for support when I'm gone. I want rescued if I need it, not trade sweet nothings with my wife while I'm gone.

Rob5589

WKR
Keeps the wife happy
Some peace of mind while solo
Can check on weather
Easy enough to send a preset "I am ok" message
Keeps the wife happy

Walking even one hour to get cell coverage could be one hour sooner that help is getting to you via the SOS button.

Last edited:

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The $300 you spend now will be the last thing you are worried about if you would actually need it.

My Inreach is an essential item on my trips. Being able to stay in touch with wife with newborn at home is worth the money alone. Weather updates help decide when to pack out and my approach to next days hunt. Find myself pushing the limits to where I probably wouldn't without one. I pay the 125.00 a year for the 1,000,000 medivac coverage which could financially destroy any of us without proper insurance. Used it while commercial fishing in Bristol Bay to stay in touch with home. Wife can pull up map at home online and see where I'm at if tracking is on (not always a good thing :rolleyes:). Makes it nice when I mark spots I'm hunting in backcountry and can pull them up on map at home and not have to guess. My wife does Real Estate and takes it with her on showings in the hills out of cell range in case something goes wrong and needs help. If I go on a trip in off season I leave it hidden in my gun safe in case someone decides to steal it I can track em. May not be for everyone but I really appreciate mine.

pointer26

Lil-Rokslider
Read this old post

Wouldn't consider some of the more remote hunts I go on without it. It takes one bad step or unforeseen issue and it could be all over. A friend of mine was hunting in Idaho last year , they drove pretty deep into the back hills where there was no service and were camped by a few other hunters. Middle of the night a tree fell on there tent and Killed one of them. He used the SOS feature and it took several hours for them to get there but without one I don't know how the partner of the hunter that was unfortunate would have dealt with having to get the body out or leaving him.

FlyGuy

WKR
Man, the inReach is the best piece of kit I own. It keeps my wife relaxed back at home and that has equaled more days hunting for me. It’s also great to be able to communicate with your hunting partners throughout the day. And there is great piece of mind knowing that button is there if I ever need it. You certainly can hunt without one, but if your dad gets hurt or has heart issues etc you aren’t going to want to leave him to get help. I’d just pull the trigger on it. Def worth their money IMO.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I went with an ACR ResQlink. No subscription cost, but also no ability to text or get weather updates. It's basically just a panic button if something goes very wrong. It was the right balance between safety and cost for me, and it might be worth looking into for you as well.

brsnow

WKR
IF YOU BUY AN INREACH-- MAKE SURE THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE IS ALWAYS THE MOST CURRENT VERSION.
UPDATE IT BEFORE GOING IN THE FIELD EACH TIME.

My understanding is that out of date software can cause functionality issues and prevent the ability to send/receive.

JL

Pretty standard with all electronic devices.

GotDraw?

WKR
@brsnow
You're right and it's pretty obvious with laptops, phones and such that you use everyday that they need to update software/firmware-- thankfully these days those devices do so automatically for the most part.

However, the InReach small and easily overlooked specifically because it is NOT used everyday. And to update it fastest, it should be connected via a laptop to the internet and Garmin. Once in the backcountry, a user could be screwed RE connectivity and the device could be useless.

This caution was posted because while it may be perfectly obvious to you to update your InReach software/firmware, not everyone will think to connect to the internet or Garmin to update its firmware before heading out. I might have missed it except that the OP noted his InReach did NOT work at all in the field due to outdated software.

I'll count myself in the bottom decile on this, but thank you for the observation.

Best,
JL

Pretty standard with all electronic devices.

Brooks

WKR
Four years ago I needed one and didn’t have one and no cell service. I was way up in a wilderness with my wife and she got hurt I had to leave her laying face down in the dirt while I took off to find cell service. Thank god an hour and a half later a rescue crew made it to us and a medical helicopter was at the bottom waiting. I would have paid a lot more than $299 that day to have one with me !!

brsnow

WKR
@brsnow
You're right and it's pretty obvious with laptops, phones and such that you use everyday that they need to update software/firmware-- thankfully these days those devices do so automatically for the most part.

However, the InReach small and easily overlooked specifically because it is NOT used everyday. And to update it fastest, it should be connected via a laptop to the internet and Garmin. Once in the backcountry, a user could be screwed RE connectivity and the device could be useless.

This caution was posted because while it may be perfectly obvious to you to update your InReach software/firmware, not everyone will think to connect to the internet or Garmin to update its firmware before heading out. I might have missed it except that the OP noted his InReach did NOT work at all in the field due to outdated software.

I'll count myself in the bottom decile on this, but thank you for the observation.

Best,
JL

I have not had to connect it to a laptop or computer to update , so haven’t run into that issue. Which is good because I don’t have a lop top or computer. I do however use it weekly.

TheGDog

WKR
Just get one dude. Sometimes really harsh stuff can happen VERY quickly out in the field... then you realize just how vulnerable you become when injured, and can't shoot your rifle defensively anymore.

Luckily, I was able to hike back out and drive myself alllllll the way home. But this incident got me to thinking what if it was like my leg this had happened to?

Oh.. and bug your Dr to give you a limited quantity of an opiate pain med for when you're out there someday and need to drag your sorry behind home someday under the worst possible conditions. They should likely agree to giving you Tylenol #3's (w/ codiene) but it'll only be 15 count, which is plenty for this "Just In Case" purpose.
12-27-2015 2-56-24 PM.jpg

TheGDog

WKR
The Spot X is cheaper, and there are new sat comm solutions popping up. Zoleo is one new sat text device that Is Bluetooth connected . I expect garmin to cut prices someday just to keep market share.

ive been using the spot connect but will upgrade this year. It works, is cheap(100.00) but only gives you a couple messag choices and a SOS button.
Somebody gifted me their older Spot device, probably 1st gen I think. Not impressed AT ALL. Would not recommend the Spot device. Any trees at all nearby and nogo. For me and the one I'd be gifted.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have an explanation for why 3/5 reviews I see for SPOT are bad? Are they still not good or was this an earlier generation thing?

have a inreach delorme. I recommend it. its one of those tools that your glad you never use it, but when you need too, its priceless. test it before you head out, they require updates every now and then

IF YOU BUY AN INREACH-- MAKE SURE THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE IS ALWAYS THE MOST CURRENT VERSION.
UPDATE IT BEFORE GOING IN THE FIELD EACH TIME.

My understanding is that out of date software can cause functionality issues and prevent the ability to send/receive.

JL

100%

I had a unit shit the bed in storage because the firmware wouldn't allow it to be charged or something. Charge it to 100% before long term storage, and be sure to take it out a month ahead of when you'll need it and make sure it works. And I'd always try a test message a few days before your trip.