Garmin inReach mini 2 questions

TheCoyote

Lil-Rokslider
hopefully someone with experience can help me understand this. I have spent about a hour on Garmins website and I think I’m clicking in circles.

I can see checkin messages and text messages but zero preset messages. Are inReach minis not compatible with preset messages?

If I text my wife a checkin message but we doesn’t have the garmin app it charges me for a message? I’m really confused as it has charged me two credits but I have only sent the checkin messages.

Can I text anyone in my phone contacts or contact list must be uploaded manually on the website before and synchronized to the device?

I cannot change the preset messages. Or even find them anywhere.

BBob

WKR
I have spent about a hour on Garmins website and I think I’m clicking in circles.

I can see checkin messages and text messages but zero preset messages. Are inReach minis not compatible with preset messages?
They can be preset with three preset messages and I think 20 quick messages. Presets are unlimited and quick get charged. Presets are called "Check In" on the device.

Presets ("check in" on device) are the only unlimited (free) messages you can send (unless you have a commercial account). So no you shouldn't have been charged for those.

Which website are you logged into? You should be on Explore (website) to create and see your preset messages. Login to Explore (web) Click on Messages on the top menu bar. There you will find your 3 presets and your quick text messages.

On the Mini 2 you can also setup your presets within the Messenger app. If they are already setup on Explore on the web and you set up check in messages on the Messenger app it will wipe the Explore web presets and replace them with the new Messenger presets. *I didn't know this before until I just checked it on my Messenger app. Turn the device on. Open messenger app. Go to the bottom menu and hit Device. Make sure device is connected. Once there you'll see Presets. Set it up. If the device isn't connected you won't see the Presets, Tracking, SOS, Contacts or Settings.

You setup your contacts to upload to your device on Explore web as well. Select Contacts from the menu bar and then add your contacts. You can add phone numbers and emails. If you use the Messenger app you can message anyone from your phone contacts directly in the app and don't need to load them on the device. I only have a few primary and emergency contacts loaded onto my Mini 2 through Explore just in case the phone dies.

I hope that covers it :)

Last edited:

Erict

WKR
THIS PAGE should answer your questions. I have many Garmin devices for bicycles but my mini 2 took a lot of hands on usage to learn, as their online documentation often falls short on explaining things clearly. Good luck.

PS - in part, it states:

"NOTE: Check-in Messages have replaced Preset Messages as of September 27th, 2022. inReach® accounts set up prior to this date will still have Preset Messages available, but any new accounts created after this date will use Check-in Messages."