Garmin Handheld w/ Outdoor + maps v ONX and iPhone

johnw3474

FNG
I posted this in the main forum and did not get any traction. Maybe some one here will have something to add, thanks:

I am considering making a switch from OnX and iPhone to a Garmin Montana or GPSMAP with the built in InReach capability and Outdoor + Maps. I tend to do a lot of public land hunting, fishing, hiking, etc alone and I know my wife, and me, would like the peace of mind of the inReach. I will continue to carry my iPhone for the camera and to make calls/ text if needed while service is available, so this would result in another device. From doing a little bit of research on here the general consensus is most people haven't taken their handheld in the woods in a while and soley use Onx, I am the same. Having a similar map service as OnX and the satellite communication ability does make me think the handheld maybe a good alternative. Below are some thoughts/ questions. If anyone has any experience with Garmin outdoor maps compared to OnX I would appreciate their feedback.

Is there any feedback on the Garmin Outdoor + maps? It is a cheaper service for nationwide than OnX. How does the land ownership records compare to OnX? How user friendly is the Garmin Explore App on your iPhone with outdoor plus maps and how compatible is the phone app and GPS? I have used the Explore iPhone app some with a Garmin watch to share points from my watch to OnX. I can see it being nice using your phone to plan or review route or maps when not in the back country.

Additional, any time I am out with a buddy it seems everyone I do hunt with uses OnX. I know OnX allows you to share waypoints with each other as long as the app is updated without a paid subscription. I have never not had a paid subscription, so I don't know how well that actually works. Does anyone have any feedback on that?

Pros of Handheld
-More accurate GPS with rugged device that isn't my phone
-satellite communication
-cheaper map service
-not running down phone battery or using phone memory

Cons of handheld
-have to buy the handheld
-taking another device in the field
-potential lack of ability to share waypoint with OnX users
-the unknown/learning curve of Garmin Outdoor + Maps

Thanks

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I use both a Montana and my phone with OnX. The Garmin maps use the same data base for landownership as do other GPS mapping platforms so both will give you the basic information. The Montana last significantly longer in the field and is less affected by cold weather than my phone. Operating the newer Montana’s with the touch screen is very easy but will take some practice. You can share waypoints with other Garmin users via Air Drop but they must be close to you. OnX is much better when it comes to sharing data. Both topo maps are good but often show different details and the satellite imagery does the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crusader

WKR
Johnw, FYI in case you aren't aware, but right now until August 28, Bass Pro/Cabela's has the Garmin 66i on sale for $349. Heck of a deal as it has the InReach satellite functions as well as all the GPS stuff.