Garmin GPSMAP 64 ST - Can't Calibrate Compass

Finn16

WKR
I've had zero issues with my 64st until the other day when I tried to recalibrate the compass and it would not accept the 3rd axis. The compass is still accurate when I check it against my phone's compass but it makes me nervous not being able to recalibrate it. I talked to a tech at Garmin and he said to do a master reset, which I did, but it did not solve the problem. I also installed the latest software update prior to calling Garmin.

Anyone else have this issue. If so, what did you do?

The unit is out of warranty .

Ninanina

FNG
I just purchased the GPSMAP 78s

i tried everything to calibrate the compass but failed every time. I must have tried literally hundreds of times

I’ve now solved the issue….

Each step should be done VERY slowly, much slower than you think it should be. There are three steps; rotating the whole unit, flipping the unit over longitudinally and then flipping the unit over end to end. Again do each step VERY slowly and go to the next step once the unit prompts you to

Using this slow motion method I can now easily calibrate the compass

Hope that helps

OP
Finn16

Finn16

WKR
I had that problem with a 64 ST. I called Garmin and was told to send it in, which I did. They couldn't fix it so offered me a reduced price on a replacement. This one is better but I find it gets confused so I have to calibrate the compass more than you really should need to but at least this one does calibrate.

Ninanina

FNG
I just purchased the GPSMAP 78s

i tried everything to calibrate the compass but failed every time. I must have tried literally hundreds of times

I’ve now solved the issue….

Each step should be done VERY slowly, much slower than you think it should be. There are three steps; rotating the whole unit, flipping the unit over longitudinally and then flipping the unit over end to end. Again do each step VERY slowly and go to the next step once the unit prompts you to

Using this slow motion method I can now easily calibrate the compass

Hope that helps

2amaz

FNG
if you’re in a canyon or a city it might mess it up. I’ve had to get in an open spot to receive the satellites… not sure if that helps