Garmin gps with chip vs onx phone

What do ypu all recommend for a reliable GPS for mountain hunting in some rugged terrain and also just a lot of exploring. Would the gps be more reliable with the chip? I personally break phones alot so I'm usually running cheap walmart phones so I don't know how that would affect onx or the mapping I can save. And input would be much apreaciated.

Dented

WKR
I've got OnX on my phone but I also carry a Garmin 66 and I'll use the chips. I know you can download maps to the phone but I inherently trust the Garmin more than the phone. I like having a backup, and I've gotten better coverage from my Garmin. No ideas why, they should run off of the same satellites.

I have both. I carry my Garmin gps with onx chip butried in my pack for backup but prefer my phone with onx app. I always use my phone and enjoy the high res imagery that you can predownload on the onx app.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
Onx recently announced they will no longer be offering the gps chips.

I have a Garmin 64st but find my Samsung S20 much more user friendly. The only disadvantage with the phone is that you need to download offline maps ahead of time for the area you will be travelling in order to have map data if out of service range. Even if in service range, the downloaded offline map loads much faster and is easier to use.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a subscription to CalTopo and made my own maps and uploaded them to my 66i. I use the phone for backup

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I still use my Garmin with the chip, but OnX on the big screen Iphones is quite tempting. I just don't see me putting my waypoints on their system though. There's no way for anyone to access the ones on my Garmin without having the unit itself.

motofrog

FNG
I use a Garmin GPSMAP 64 when solo and a Rino 755 when out with others and want comm. they've endured weather that I wouldn't want to subject any smartphone to.