Garmin etrex 20 - looking for something simple

gmajor

WKR
Hey guys, I recently got a $100 gift card to REI, and am thinking about the Garmin etrex 20. I just need something where I can set waypoints to navigate back to spike camp(s) and eventually the truck. I will be carrying a physical topo map too.

-Can this function as a basic "backtrack" if I use it with my physical topo map (i.e. just using it with the "basemap")? I'd like to hold off on buying any expensive topo packages for the unit.
-And a secondary question, are there any free topos for it?

Thanks!

dotman

WKR
That unit is great, has pretty much everything the more expensive models have as far as mapping capability goes. Screen is small but a great unit, I really liked mine.

Yep I really like mine. I put the hunting gps chip in it and it's all i need. That base camp software from Garmin is fun to do your internet scouting on too.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep I use the eTrex 20 more than any other GPS and I have I think 4 ;)

Great lightweight little unit that does everything I need and more.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I was bear hunting this weekend and while riding horseback collecting hounds, I found an E-trex and I think it is the 20. I already have a GPS and would be willing to sell this one for a deal because it is a little scuffed up, but not bad. I turned it on and it appears to work and did not have a Home marked, so I can't really find the owner. It is in my brothers truck right now, so I will try and get him to check on the model. Let me know if you are interested.

Browtine

WKR
Great unit with all the functions you need and none you dont. Very compact and great battery life as well.

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
Glad to hear all the solid reviews. So it does, in fact, sound like it's usable without buying the additional topo package for it? (using the base map + physical topo)

bz_711

WKR
Glad to hear all the solid reviews. So it does, in fact, sound like it's usable without buying the additional topo package for it? (using the base map + physical topo)

I agree - great little GPS.
I've had it two seasons now - I got all the free topo I needed from gpsfiledepot.com, instructions were easy to down load whole state of CO, very handy.
I find I use my smartphone more than ever now as I hunt due to how quickly it will locate me on an aerial view map, but still like the GPS for saving points(especially over time since we upgrade phones so often), reliable topo, and ultimately when phones don't work the best.
I would recommend the etrex 20 to anyone on a budget.

Last edited:

Browtine

WKR

Yes. Get your physical topo UTM gridded. It's then very easy to get a fix with the Etrex and then accurately plot your position on the paper map.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You can certainly use the GPS with just the standard topo. But I find I really like the additional detail of the better topos. I think it would be especially nice in the lower 48 where its nearly all in 1:24K. Up here in Alaska mostly everything is 1:63K and I still think its super nice IMO. Nothing you have to get right away, but at some point might be worth consider getting for free from GPSfiles.com or whatever it is or just buy it out right. Worth the $$$ IMO.

I have one and it works great. Sometimes I wish I would have got the one with a compass but I have a little Silva to fill that void. Good battery life, compact, pretty quick to get satellites. I also have the OnXMaps chip and the carabiner clip. Nice little unit.

I was looking at cabelas last night and I noticed that the unit they have has a compass. Did yet update the unit with a compass. Also, it's on sale for $159.99.

Browtine

WKR
I was looking at cabelas last night and I noticed that the unit they have has a compass. Did yet update the unit with a compass. Also, it's on sale for $159.99.

The 20 does have a compass, but it only works while you're moving. The 30's compass is electronic and works while you're standing still, also has a barametric altimeter. Neither features are must haves for me. That's a good price on the 20.

Finch

WKR
Bringing this thread back to life! I'm interested in the Etrex 20 for my upcoming CO trip. Here in Virginia, I've never needed a GPS and it will mainly be used out west. However, I am interested in venturing further into National Forest here at home now that I have a lot of the gear to spend a couple nights. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is I don't need to spend a lot of money on a GPS that won't be used much at all.

Now my question. I see a lot about the OnXhunt map chips and also Matt referenced above about gpsfiledepot.com Do I need both or one of the other? It seems that the hunt maps is the way to go. Would you guys say that the hunt maps are a necessity? It's also my understanding that I can plug the SD card into my PC and do some scouting at home and save points of interest onto my GPS, right?

Just so you know, I'll also be taking my Suunto M3 compass along with a paper topo. I've been practicing some with the compass and map here at home. I think the combination of the GPS and map/compass will be ideal.

I would say for very simple operations the 20 would work. Back when I was looking at them last year I don't think they have an sd port. Double check me on that though. I am very glad to hear someone knows how to use a map and compass. Make sure to practice triangulation as this process can help in a situation of being lost.