Garmin dog tracking collars

I am looking at Garmin tracking collars to use in south dakota pheasant hunting. Can anyone advise how well/far the tt15 or tt25 collars pick up in one of the large cornfields?

Wanting to make sure how far i can track her if she chases one off through one of those huge cornfields.

VHF radio rangeUp to 14.48 km (9 mi.)

That's published. I'd cut it in half in most conditions, and then a larger reduction when you lose line of sight.

I'd be impressed if you could lose a dog in South Dakota with one of these.

Watched my dog run away for three days in west Texas.
I'm in the woods more - and 90 feet away and comming in means she's about a scond from plowing into my knees ("30 yards at full blast" is the location update rate).

pro 550+ TT15x

Super happy with mine. I left the hand held in the office a couple months ago and asked the AA if it was there (with a picture) and she said its not. Bought a replacement and later found what she thought was maintenance guy's walkie talkie.

I'd be impressed if you could lose a dog in South Dakota with one of these
This.

The only time I’ve lost signal with my dogs is when they get in very cliffy stuff and I’m over the ridge. Overhead vegetation, such as heavy forest canopy can reduce signal strength. However, I doubt 6’ tall corn or cattails is going to inhibit it.

Faster refresh rates gives you better real time tracking but chews battery life.

KurtR

WKR
Only time i ever lost a dog was in a corn field that was a whole section . He chased a bird in it and it was blowing about 30 out. After about an hour he came out the other side of the field we had guys waiting on all four sides hoping he would come out. He had the bird but you could tell was scarred when he came out. Longest hour of my life

AlphaK9

FNG
It's a great collar- I don't bird hunt, but I use one on my bloodhound anytime he is outside and gets a wild hair to sniff what came thru our property lines the day before. He has been known to be a few properties over- now the neighbors know him, he is aggressively friendly. I use the beep feature or 'Tone' as his recall and it works well.

I use it on off leash man hunts at work also. Pretty cool having a compass arrow and distance on how far away he is in thick stuff that I can't get through quick- frees up my hands for a rifle or flashlight instead of a 30 ft leash tangled in everything an Iowa timber has to offer.

chemist

FNG
I run an alpha 100 with a tt15 and a tt25. I often rotate dogs leaving one in the truck with a collar on the dog. I lose signal about a mile from the truck without having line of sight. I have extended antennas that came with the package for both the collars and the handhelds but I have never tested them.

jmez

WKR
Either will work. I live and hunt here all year. I use the 25 on GSP's. One of them runs big, way more than across a cornfield!! Have never lost signal or a dog. I hunt the entire state.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
The range is hardly an issue. But if you haven't bought one already, I'd encourage you to get the tt25 over the 15 for no other reason than battery life - its vastly improved over the 15