Garmin Chronograph: Measuring Downrange Velocity?

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
The chronograph has been great for getting launch/muzzle velocity. But it doesn’t inherently measure or track downrange projectile velocity. That’s all fine for essentially all of my uses. But, I got to wondering: has anybody successfully measured downrange velocites with the Garmin Xero C1 chronograph?

I was briefly trying to shoot arrows over or in front of the Garmin radar aperture at different distances. It wasn’t registering any shots. I’m thinking that was most due to being too close to the target which was reflecting radar signal and effected the detection. Also I was a little “gun shy” about shooting too close to the device without more protection. With archery at the further distance, predicting the arrow trajectory and shooting over the chrono while staying within the 5-15” detection window was more tricky than I had anticipated.

Wondering if anybody’s had luck doing this and was willing to share ideas on the setup?

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Found this on YT, just released video. Looks like it worked for archery which was my primary interest for downrange velocity. I certainly wasn’t feeling as gutsy shooting right over the Garmin at 20 and 60 yds!

Last edited:
OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Using the bow, I am hoping to attempt some shots over the chrono at various distances sometime this week. I found some scrap steel that should offer some protection from errant arrows

Attachments

• 26786933-66AF-4E01-863C-ACEA45AF9E63.jpeg
    26786933-66AF-4E01-863C-ACEA45AF9E63.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to get downrange velocities from the Garmin at 20 and 60 yards yesterday evening. Basically a similar setup to what’s shown in the video. It worked really well once you get a feel for the trajectory. 267.3 fps and 250.8 fps at 20 and 60 yds, respectively.

With the added steel “armor” I feel pretty comfortable shooting arrows over it at distance. Maybe it’s an unnecessary step but it gave me a bit more peace of mind. I plan to pair this with a cheap Amazon camera tripod and head just in case a low impact.

I’m curious if anybody actually knows how far ahead of the Garmin is detecting and measuring velocity? If you set it at 20 yds, or even at your shooting position, it’s obviously detecting the projectile at some further position downrange. But how far downrange? And does it attempt to correct the ready for an initial velocity?

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like PCA is interested in the “shield” concept for the Garmin. Which is really nothing more than some angle iron and a couple holes

Attachments

• IMG_2544.png
    IMG_2544.png
    286.6 KB · Views: 34
I built one using materials from Menards. Probably could have done it a little cheaper, but it was cheap enough. Cost $14 since I didn't have 3" angle iron lying around. IMG_2074.jpegIMG_2076.jpeg

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
I cut down the original piece of angle iron to a more manageable size. One thing I found helpful is rigging up some butcher paper mounted to the steel and extending up above the chronograph. I usually mark 5” and 15” on the paper representing heights above the chrono. After a few shots through the paper downrange, you can confirm the proper hold and arrow trajectory above the chrono. Then remove the paper and shoot away. It’s one extra step but I believe this helps accuracy of the data

Attachments

• IMG_3750.jpeg
    IMG_3750.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3116.jpeg
    IMG_3116.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 14