Galaxy s4 zoom?

Hardstalk

WKR
Curious if anyone has pondered this as a legit camera option? I would like some feedback on quality if anyone has taken the plunge. Im a sucker for consolidation! Also im not too camera savy would this imagery be enough to surpass the "no cell phone entries" that most hunting mags require?

Thanks in advance

colonel00

WKR
By no means am I a camera pro but here is my basic understanding, it is all about the size of the sensor and has almost nothing to do with how many megapixels the camera has. For instance, that new Windows phone boasts like 40 megapixels or something. Unfortunately I fear you will get 40 megapixels of a crappy image. I don't have an S4 yet but the girlfriend does. I will see if I can post up some photos as well. Basically, I think it will do in a pinch on a bright, sunny day for general photos but the small sensor will have trouble gathering light in less than ideal conditions.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
HS,

Looking at the specs, the s4 zoom is a compact camera (with smartphone capabilities), and so it should be comparable to other similar compact cameras.

Conversely, the S4 is a smartphone (with camera capabilities).

The S4 zoom should have an image quality advantage, and certainly should take pics that qualify under the "no cell phone pics" rules.

Colonel and jager, HS is asking about the "galaxy S4 zoom", which is not the galaxy S4 phone.

colonel00

WKR
Whoops, my bad. Apparently I missed the Zoom portion. Taking a quick glance, I would definitely say this is much better than what a cell phone can produce.

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
I walked by the gizmo at best buy today and a light went off in my head! a new meaning to live hunt if your uploading 1080 in an instant (given you have service) I'm eligible for an upgrade and might have to give it a whirl. The wife and I bicker quite often about me taking the rx100 into the field. Which confuses the heck outta me when she is the one who "misplaced" the first one...

Im sure a homebrew digiscoping adapter is feasible. Hoping someone chimes in that has had the chance to use one. I have a feeling this phone is the start of a very welcome trend.