Gaiters

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
Still trying to decide between the peax or the stone glaciers! They are both appealing to me I like more of the features on stone glacier for sizing it up. Any one have some input or some experience with both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
Not trying to bag on Peax, but ever since that guy on the cheap gear that works thread showed that they were selling the same headlamp for $80 that you could get for $25, just with their logo on it, I started to look at their products differently.

Stone Glacier on the other hand, I have those gaiters and they are the most functional that I’ve used. Easy to get on, easy to dial in the fit, and built to last. I’ve used them in all seasons and haven’t found a thing I didn’t like about them.

The others I tried were t&k (like the design, just were a little over-built and complicated to get the right fit for me), kuiu yukon (felt they were hard to get a good seal and didn’t like their bottom buckle), and the Sitka Thunderhead (really like these, will use them more for archery; I prefer a taller gaiter).

OP
Gold54bs

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to bag on Peax, but ever since that guy on the cheap gear that works thread showed that they were selling the same headlamp for $80 that you could get for $25, just with their logo on it, I started to look at their products differently.

Stone Glacier on the other hand, I have those gaiters and they are the most functional that I’ve used. Easy to get on, easy to dial in the fit, and built to last. I’ve used them in all seasons and haven’t found a thing I didn’t like about them.

The others I tried were t&k (like the design, just were a little over-built and complicated to get the right fit for me), kuiu yukon (felt they were hard to get a good seal and didn’t like their bottom buckle), and the Sitka Thunderhead (really like these, will use them more for archery; I prefer a taller gaiter).

I ended up picking up the stone glaciers, just liked the sizing feature with the extra Velcro! What do you prefer over the SG and Sitka? Or just like them both for the early season and late

jd1006

WKR
I like the height of the SG Gaiters over the Sitka Thunderhead. I think the Thunderhead is a great option for archery because the face fabric is brushed.

OP
Gold54bs

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
I like the height of the SG Gaiters over the Sitka Thunderhead. I think the Thunderhead is a great option for archery because the face fabric is brushed.

Ill have to take look at those as well! Do you happen to know what thread it was about the peax headlamp and the cheap one? Or do you have a link for the cheap one? Because I was wanting to get one of the peax lamps

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Ill have to take look at those as well! Do you happen to know what thread it was about the peax headlamp and the cheap one? Or do you have a link for the cheap one? Because I was wanting to get one of the peax lamps

Lookup Sofrin, the oem. I don’t remember the thread but you can hop on their USA website and grab a headlamp under $30. The white 500 lumen with red lens is pretty impressive.

sr80

WKR
Whats the difference between the peax gaiters and OR?? The yellow boot strap?? The look exactly the same but cost way more.

OP
Gold54bs

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
Lookup Sofrin, the oem. I don’t remember the thread but you can hop on their USA website and grab a headlamp under $30. The white 500 lumen with red lens is pretty impressive.

Awesome I ordered one to give it a shot, should have it for this weekends hunt!

OP
Gold54bs

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
Whats the difference between the peax gaiters and OR?? The yellow boot strap?? The look exactly the same but cost way more.

Different materials, the strap is supposedly a lot stronger, and for the stitching thread they use dyneema I don’t know about the rest of the material though

sr80

WKR
Different materials, the strap is supposedly a lot stronger, and for the stitching thread they use dyneema I don’t know about the rest of the material though

Oh gotcha. ive never had a stitch fail on my OR ones where i would need dyneema, the boot strap wears out after a few years but a quick email and youve got a brand new set under warranty.

jd1006

WKR
SG has a dyneema strap and a better buckle than the Peax gaiter for the same price. Their extra velcro will make the fit easier to dial in. SG also uses Xpac on the lower area, which is another proven fabric that is durable and waterproof.

I don’t think they are comparable at that price…peax seems juiced up with marketing. They could be a good gaiter, but for that price, seems like the SG is actually built with higher quality materials.

Ram94

WKR
The Kuiu Yukon gaiters have been awesome for me over the last 5 years. Overwhelming amount of positive reviews on them as well.

Geewhiz

WKR
Anybody have any experience with hillsound gaitors? Saw these somewhere and was intrigued.

Bump79

WKR
I'm sure the SG glacier is nice but they're damn expensive. Kuiu Yukon is probably better for you're money.

The Kuiu Yukon gaiters have been awesome for me over the last 5 years. Overwhelming amount of positive reviews on them as well.
they are tough to beat... i have them, the peax, the kutana and their scree gaiters as well... i don't like much from kuiu, but their raingear and gaiters are legit, nothing remotely bad to say about either

the peax gaiters are great too, but they are my heavy duty really bad weather and lots of walking gaiters... i wear them when i don't want to put wear on my yukons or kutana. the peax are the toughest gaiters i have seen, and they seem to be built well, i have used mine a lot and they literally look new still

TheViking

WKR

This has been proven not to be true. They used the same case, and same design, but the internals are vastly different and much better quality.

Meals7

FNG
I've been looking at SG and peax gaiters so it's interesting to hear everyone's opinion.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've been looking at SG and peax gaiters so it's interesting to hear everyone's opinion.
Haven't used Peax, but the SG ones were in development a long time (I'm sure Peax was as well). To me looking at them, Peax is taking a gaiter like an OR Croc and making incremental improvement on the construction (although their cut looks nicer, similar to what Kuiu had done). Kuiu seemed to take a similar with the Yukon, which is a great gaiter due to the material, cut, and reduced seams. But what SG did was totally different. The stretchy softer top combined with the hard wearing bottom (Peax looks like they may be like that as well?), replaceable boot strap, the adjustment and ability to clean up all the webbing tab ends, the variable width calf wrap, and stretchy top strap are all pretty unique. It all works quite nicely.