G4 Simms boot options...

jofes

WKR
Going moose hunting for the first time this fall, I've ordered Simms G4 chest waders but read that a lot of people don't like the Simms boots and wear "jungle" style boots that have holes for letting out water better and they don't cost $300.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks

Would also be interested. I have a moose hunt in NL this Oct and NBR caribou hunt late August 2026. I'm looking at the freestone wade pants and boots for a pant option and bring my hikers with gaiters as backup

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Great choice on the Simm's chest waders. I have G-4's with a lot of miles on them, and absolutely still going strong and reliable...never a leak or puncture.

I wore-out a pair of G-4 boots a couple years ago, and replaced them with G-3's which are excellent and very comfortable. I've also heard the less expensive Freestone boot is great as well.

Scottf270

WKR
I bought a pair of Simms wading boots on close out. Do some searching on the net, you may find a deal. I got my Simms boa lace boots for $ 125.00.

The best combo for moose is simms wading pants and a separate set of wading boots and a really good rain jacket. I like the helly Hanson impertech but kuiu Yukon might be better all around.

The chest waders are going to be really hot and you might get blister if you do a lot of walking in the set that has a pre attached boot.

I usually size up one foot size on wading boots so I can fit warmer socks underneath. So I’m typically a size 11 I go up to a 12 in the wading boots.

The wading pants pictured are a set of reddington cheap wading pants. I have used 3 pairs and they all have leaked and don’t recommend.

The simms pair I have are amazing and have gotten me through one full guide season without leaking.

Attachments

• IMG_5120.jpeg
    IMG_5120.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 16

gbflyer

WKR
The best combo for moose is simms wading pants and a separate set of wading boots and a really good rain jacket. I like the helly Hanson impertech but kuiu Yukon might be better all around.

The chest waders are going to be really hot and you might get blister if you do a lot of walking in the set that has a pre attached boot.

I usually size up one foot size on wading boots so I can fit warmer socks underneath. So I’m typically a size 11 I go up to a 12 in the wading boots.

The wading pants pictured are a set of reddington cheap wading pants. I have used 3 pairs and they all have leaked and don’t recommend.

The simms pair I have are amazing and have gotten me through one full guide season without leaking.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
The best combo for moose is simms wading pants and a separate set of wading boots and a really good rain jacket. I like the helly Hanson impertech but kuiu Yukon might be better all around...
Right on...I have both the HH Impertech rain jacket and KUIU Yukon...both are great and I've worn each for many years. I agree that the Yukon is a better all around choice because it's breathable, durable, and does the job in the rain. The Impertech is totally waterproof (and less expensive), but I get soaked from the inside-out, especially if doing any physical activity.

Also good point about stocking-foot waders and separate wading boots...for me, always.

When it comes to chest waders vs wading pants for moose hunting up here...it really does come down to the specific environment in which one will be hunting (and perhaps time of year). It can significantly vary up here as we know, so we've got to be informed and plan ahead as best we can. The wading pants might be more universal, but I've been in some locations on weight restricted hunts that I don't even take waders...because I know in advance that I won't need them and haven't. Conversely, I've been in other areas that I'm living in my chest waders every single day, and wading pants would not have served me well.

Last edited:
OP
J

jofes

WKR
Do any of you use a jungle style boot instead of the actual Simms boots?

If I were buying boots right now I would get orvis Pros or G3s. No way I’m paying what simms is asking for the new G4. If you don’t need as much grip and/or ankle support there are plenty of other good options out there.

If you don’t need the grip for wet rocks and moss then you could easily wear an oversized breathable hiking boot. Main thing is just to remember that your foot will not only be longer but also significantly wider, so you may need a wide shoe and not just a bigger one. I would definitely go try them on or order a few sizes to see what works best for you.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use the simms g3 boots. They are going strong after 4-5 years of use for both moose hunting and fishing. I’ve even commercial fished in them which I wouldn’t recommend.

I cannot speak to jungle boots, or anything for Alaska, but as someone who works in fisheries, and does a lot of stream miles, I cannot recommend the G4 boots. I have had early wear and coworkers have had major quality issues, including whole soles coming off. I much prefer the freestones. Simms was acquired by an investment group last year, so take that as you will.

Versydus

WKR
I've been wondering the same question you had originally.

wear "jungle" style boots that have holes for letting out water better"

I put a pair of bates lites⁹ thru literally everything for a workup, ruck runs, beach runs, ocean evolutions and they still went on deployment with me.

Found these LALO boots, newer company catering to the Socom crowd. Has full drain on foot bed and is ment to be used in a wet environment. Pretty sure if can find my size I'm gonna give them a whirl this spring and summer as my go to hiking boot/raft boot to see how they perform.

Plus found a code that would take 30%. Win win.
8d8b653ac9e4e17a8f791c314f61acc9.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk