Future Alaska moose trip…..

252to208

FNG
Hoping to go to Alaska in 26/27 I have never been however my hunting mentor has spent countless months in Alaska fishing. We have brainstormed a lot of ideas but hoping to hear what some of you guys may think for area to go to diy a moose. We both have lots of time in the Idaho backcountry but I personally have no experience in alaska.

OP
252to208

252to208

FNG
Are you doing full DIY or do you have budget for a transporter?
We were going to possibly use the guy that has flown in/out my neighbor multiple times for his fishing trips over the years. I suppose that may be considered a transporter bc he does have a freezer and rents inflatable boats as well. We have more budget then time if that makes sense, we can't take the extra 4-6 days off to drive up with our boats gear etc so we are planning to have to rent those things up there if we need them. I'm not sure if thats what you meant by full diy or not we are obviously new to alaskan hunting.

We were going to possibly use the guy that has flown in/out my neighbor multiple times for his fishing trips over the years. I suppose that may be considered a transporter bc he does have a freezer and rents inflatable boats as well. We have more budget then time if that makes sense, we can't take the extra 4-6 days off to drive up with our boats gear etc so we are planning to have to rent those things up there if we need them. I'm not sure if thats what you meant by full diy or not we are obviously new to alaskan hunting.
Just think there's a distinction between doing all your own transport and finding your own spot vs using a transporter to take you to a spot where his clients kill bulls often (both hunts are DIY). Not knocking it, just wanting to make sure you're getting advice aimed at the type of hunt you're looking for. Lots of different transport options depending on your budget and what kind of experience you're looking for.

Western AK has had the best success rates recently (what Vern said). Play around with the ADF&G harvest report tools - you can even sort by transportation type (advanced tools) and see success rates for hunters being flown in if you really want to compare apples to apples. If you're decent enough with data just download the whole moose harvest file for the past couple of years - within 10 minutes you'll see where success rates are high. Then it's just a matter of narrowing down flight options, drainages, dates, etc.

OP
252to208

252to208

FNG
Just think there's a distinction between doing all your own transport and finding your own spot vs using a transporter to take you to a spot where his clients kill bulls often (both hunts are DIY). Not knocking it, just wanting to make sure you're getting advice aimed at the type of hunt you're looking for. Lots of different transport options depending on your budget and what kind of experience you're looking for.

Western AK has had the best success rates recently (what Vern said). Play around with the ADF&G harvest report tools - you can even sort by transportation type (advanced tools) and see success rates for hunters being flown in if you really want to compare apples to apples. If you're decent enough with data just download the whole moose harvest file for the past couple of years - within 10 minutes you'll see where success rates are high. Then it's just a matter of narrowing down flight options, drainages, dates, etc.
I see what you mean I really appreciate it as you can see I am very green when it comes to Alaska but the ADF&G tip makes a lot of sense. I've been in off and on contact with the guy my neighbor has used and fortunately he has been super nice and really likes my neighbor. I have never used a guide service of any kind at any level but I think more help there would be worth the extra money given our more limited time frame. Unlike Brian Call and Ryan Lampers we can't just stay out longer to get it done, I heard that on one of his podcasts as advice to be more successful and thought sure would be nice but my job and family don't allow for just staying gone for an extra 3-4 days haha