Further Faster Designs

steve2267

FNG
Am looking at adding a Super-B to my EDC BOB. It would replace my Kifaru 20˚ slick bag when I add a bag to my Bob.

I was considering the 2.5oz blanket as I like the idea of only 1lb, but wonder if the extra half pound is worth it to get down to a 30˚ rating? (I'm in Colorado, so was thinking of the Super-B as a 3-season option, stuffing the Kifaru slick bag in for winter.) Thoughts?

Beckjhong

WKR
Bumping this. Anyone have any other experience with these? Subjective warmth eval of the 2.5 vs the 3.6?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my experience is that a 2.5 Apex quilt is comfortable to ~ mid to upper 40's, 3.6 Apex- ~ mid to upper 30's

obviously w/ some additional clothing you could boost those numbers a little

I will say, as an "experiment" I brought a 2.5 Apex quilt on an overnighter to a high (7500') mountain lake, was expecting temps down into the 40's- I had pretty significant ice in my water bottle come morning which explains why I froze my ass off! :D

for hunting season I carry a 3.6 filled quilt in my day pack- 13 oz (2.5) vs 19 oz, but worth the peace of mind

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I spent a couple nights in the heavier version of their glassing blanket (the 3.6oz I believe), it got down to mid 40s and was
s comfortable.

It got down to the mid 30s on the 3rd night and I woke up and unpacked my WM bag. I was a bit chilly.

Sleeping on an Thermarest Xtherm max, wearing icebreaker 260 weight Merino wool, and a beanie.

Pn8hall

WKR
I reached out to them in Sept of 2020 via Facebook and they had run thru all of their inventory and had no idea if they were gonna be able to get more. They were sewing everything here is the USA and covid had screwed things up for the supply chain. They had an option to send things to China but refused to do it. The options were to suspend operations and potentially close or outsource to China. Being Veteran owned I admire them sticking to there principals and not sending it to China.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know Apex was in short demand, the reason Nunatak quit offering it in their lineup. Must be loosening somewhat as they have resumed Apex sales.

Hopefully some is trickling towards FFH

Usmcff

WKR
I reached out to them in Sept of 2020 via Facebook and they had run thru all of their inventory and had no idea if they were gonna be able to get more. They were sewing everything here is the USA and covid had screwed things up for the supply chain. They had an option to send things to China but refused to do it. The options were to suspend operations and potentially close or outsource to China. Being Veteran owned I admire them sticking to there principals and not sending it to China.
Dang, that really sucks because I really liked their harnesses and gear.