Funny but true...

Rich M

WKR
I was stopped by this super cute game and fish girl as I was dropping my buddy back off at the dock one day. I have had livescope for 3 or 4yrs now. The AGFC was conducting a survey regarding forward facing sonar. I can only assume it was to see if they wanted to implement something like Mississippi did.

Here, most livescope use is for crappie. Mostly it's used around the spawn to find them on structure or to "snipe" roamers in open water that are feeding. It's quite fun and very similar to hunting.

I use it heavily for bass as well. However, I've been most successful using it to just locate fish or bait. If they're schooling, you can follow them around too.

It's not as cut and dry as it seems though. There are plenty of days where I can hit a crappie in the head with a jig and they just swim off. I've learned a ton about presentation and what they want and do not want.

Frankly, I don't mind the lakes curtailing the limit to protect their fish population. I would rather see them be proactive than have a fishery completely collapse but that's just me. Our limit is 15 over 10". I was out pulling crank baits last week which doesn't really involve the livescope too much other than ancillary setup and depth, and we had 20 keepers in about 4hrs. What it boils down to at my lake is time on the water year after year to know where they're going to be.

I'm interested to see what the next 15yrs of innovation does. This has honestly been the biggest advancement in my lifetime when it comes to fishing. I love watching mine and learning about my surroundings. They're nothing to be scared of and it takes a lot of practice to become proficient with them. It's not like it seems where you put a livescope on your boat and you're automatically catching limits.
I have it and it does help find fish. We caught some crappie with it, giant redfish, and snappers. Im just learning how to work it. My dad is mid-80s and the fishing pressure around here is thru the roof. Got it to make some more memories.

They have to restrict the take or we’ll catch em all.

I loved the side scan to find structure. Now we have live sonar. Amazing.

It is just technology. We have that stupid thing in our pockets. Calls, camera, video, text, computer, maps, etc.

Might as well ban it all. That and preseason scouting, it gives an advantage to those who want ti work at it. Cheaters.

Open the hunt areas on opening day, if you are a real hunter, you’ll get a big buck. If not, maybe you should watch sports?

I mean, make it even steven to all. No scouting, no electronics, heck, no shoes and no matches. Loin cloth brigade of spear chuckers or nothing.

My dad is mid-80s and the fishing pressure around here is thru the roof. Got it to make some more memories.
Pretty sad, actually kind of feel bad for you that you need live sonar to make memories with your aging father.
Might as well ban it all. That and preseason scouting, it gives an advantage to those who want ti work at it. Cheaters.
Comparing preseason scouting to live sonar? You call purchasing live sonar "working at it"

A better comparison would be legalizing thermal drones for hunting purposes. I mean all that drone would be used for is locating game right? Just like for the live sonar guys say it makes finding fish easy, but you can't make them bite.
I think the hardest part for most people is finding elk/deer and once you find them, they are fairly easy to kill and I think the same thing can be said for fishing, finding them is usually the toughest part but once you find them you can usually get some of them to bite.

AND yes, I have used all 3 versions of live sonar (Garmin LIveScope, Lowrance Active Target & Hummingbird MEGALIVE) on open water & ice fishing so i know its capabilities but i also understand that as amazing as it is it still doesn't guarantee a limit of fish every single time it just makes it about 100x easier.

Rich M

WKR
There are people who want to ban anything that allows someone/anyone else to have an edge. It's pretty sad actually. If they succeed in this quest to cancel, then they need to feel some pain too - not just be all smug and happy. Sure isn't humility in forcing regulations on people cause they are wrong in what they do.

The fishing pressure down here is insane, so I bought the Live Scope to help catch more fish with my old man before he dies. I'm drawing a blank as to why that is sad. We have a lot of fun - been fishing with him regularly for 52-53 years. fwiw - Live Scope doesn't work as well in salt water as it does in fresh.

Rich M

WKR
Pretty sad, actually kind of feel bad for you that you need live sonar to make memories with your aging father.
Im still wondering why it is sad that i want him to catch a few more fish. The spec was a result of the live scan. As was the 50+inch red.

Not sure what’s in you guys’s heads. You make it sound like you wouldnt do anything to get an edge for your fathers to enjoy.

.IMG_3410.jpegIMG_3328.jpegIMG_3170.jpegIMG_3100.jpegIMG_1350.jpeg1031201839.jpeg

He stopped deer hunting in 2020 - i nagged him into shooting that deer. He still likes to chase ducks and enjoys shooting those.

Technology levels the playing field. Rookie hunters/fisherman can "catch up" to more experienced folks quickly with technology aids. So, instead of the same handful of people catching/killing most of the overall take, it is a broader population. Is that bad? I don't think so. However, the consequence is increased success rate, and that is ultimately what may be of concern. With increased success, limits have to decrease, tags are reduced, etc. and that can limit opportunity. For example, in UT, some limited entry elk rifle tags are held during the rut. Success rate is way high (90%? 100%?), but opportunity to get a tag is way low specifically due that success rate. Is this scenario good or bad?

As we get better technology, success rates will continue to increase. I am not in favor of more government regulations at all, rather, manage fish and game populations with technology as a guide to predicted success rates.

cjdewese

WKR
Im still wondering why it is sad that i want him to catch a few more fish. The spec was a result of the live scan. As was the 50+inch red.

Not sure what’s in you guys’s heads. You make it sound like you wouldnt do anything to get an edge for your fathers to enjoy.

.View attachment 728979View attachment 728980View attachment 728981View attachment 728982View attachment 728988View attachment 728995

He stopped deer hunting in 2020 - i nagged him into shooting that deer. He still likes to chase ducks and enjoys shooting those.
I bet he gets a kick out of that technology!

Stalker69

WKR
I kinda like the technology and messing around with them. Gives you something to do,mess with, but I don't keep any fish of any kind any more. Kinda like video game meets reality. Does feel like cheating at times, but again I keep nothing.

Rich M

WKR
I bet he gets a kick out of that technology!

Yes he does! He knows the moving things are fish, but where are they. We don't use it a lot based on what we are fishing for. Maybe used it 8-10 times so far, still learning how it functions. The live scope seems to call in the dolphins - they will come and hang next to the boat, eyeballing the transducer.

We still have dad's original green box flasher - it is 6 volt battery (the ones with the springs on top) powered. Sitting on the shelf.

Dented

WKR

.View attachment 728979View attachment 728980View attachment 728981View attachment 728982View attachment 728988View attachment 728995

There's an exception to every rule. I think you found one for me. Great to see those pictures.

My dad is mid-80s and the fishing pressure around here is thru the roof. Got it to make some more memories.
Sorry if I offended you Rich, that was not my intent!

Thats awesome your still able to spend quality time with your father. The only reason I said it was sad was because you made it sound like you needed LIVE SONAR "to make some more memories" with your father. That came off as being very shallow, like who the hell needs the fishing trip to be "successful" to make memories & have a good time with their dad, but too each their own.

Have a good day and hope you & your father continue to make memories on the water !!