Full shoulder shipping

Has anyone had success with shipping a full shoulder elk mount. I tagged out in Montana and live in Virginia and Im trying to figure the cost and risks associated with shipping compared to flying out and driving it back. Im open to recommendations for shipping services as well.

Have you asked the taxidermist? Typically they will crate it up & send it LTL or have people who will bring them to the east coast.
I used a guy that had an enclosed trailer that had about 50 different mounts in there delivering from FLA to NY. I think it was about $300 if I remember correctly.
I'd guess it would cost you multiple $thousand to fly & drive plus several days.

sjwfarms

WKR
^^ Talk to your taxidermist. If they know what they're doing they shipped a bunch of these and have trusted carriers they use. Cost is probably around $400-500, that's based on a euro I had shipped to TN this year....If you're looking for an excuse to go to MT in the summer, then I can't fault you for that.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I had a large whitetail mount along with a walleye mount shipped from WI to the Seattle area 2 years ago via UPS. They wrapped and crated them and it was around $500.

Can the antlers be removed? If not, shipping could be $1000 or more I'm guessing. Like others said, talk to the taxidermist as they might be able use an air freight service which might save some coin.

Contact Shane Plunkett, owner of Bighorn Trophy Haulers. He picks up mounts all over the country and transports them to hunters. He's been doing it successfully for several years.

Smtn10pt

Lil-Rokslider
I had a mount shipped from MT back to PA several years ago. It wasn't that expensive and arrived in great shape. I would check with the taxidermist, they've probably dealt with this before.

Scottyboy

WKR
Not expensive if you have the horns “pinned” (removable) I forget my exact freight bill but I want to say it was around 200-300(???)

Mw01313

Lil-Rokslider
I would check with taxi about a transporter. I had an elk delivered that way a couple years ago and should be getting a second mount delivered around July 1. Feel much better knowing it's a guy that understands what hes hauling. Don't remember the bill for it from AZ to GA but don't remember it being too bad