Full Moon and mature bucks?

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently doing research for future Mule Deer hunts with the closest hunt being a 3rd Rifle CO tag next season (2017) if I draw it. I have never hunted Mule Deer and was curious in how experienced Mule deer hunters viewed full moon and mature buck movement. Does the time of season also matter for example will the full moon effect early archery (sept) hunt vs early nov (rifle) differently? Or do most not even pay attention to it.

Later on, I don't think it does a thing. But what I've observed over the past few years is that hot weather and a full moon any time before the rut is a recipe for bucks to be almost entirely nocturnal. The worst muley hunting I've had has been during Sept & Oct, in hot, dry weather, during a full moon. I don't plan hunts around it though.

PWCGray

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
irrelevant in my experience. Certain times of the year the deer are out, other times they are completely nocturnal regardless of moon phase. The only external variables that change this are frigid temps and the rut. It's roughly a lot of time out and about until they get their velvet rubbed off, then nocturnal until rut or cold gets them moving and out.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't pay too much attention to it. it probably has some effect but I can't do anything about it so I just go hunting and have killed several of my best bucks on full moons in Sept/Oct/Nov

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
I used to worry about the full moon but I got my best buck a couple years ago at 1:30 in the afternoon. He was still only half rubbed of velvet on Sept 26 and was pre occupied rubbing his antlers allowing me to sneak over a cliff above him. The full moon helped me to see on the pack out though. This was archery although. I would be more concerned with 3rd rifle season, when bullets start flying every species usually knows to hide a little better! I would say just go and enjoy you're hunt if you draw. They still have to eat and drink sometime, but I admit I like archery better now just because the deer aren't on edge as much as they seem to be when the shooting starts.

Bar

Banned
We have mule deer walk across our shooting range all the time. We have to stop shooting while they cross the range right in front of the targets. It's an exercise in self control for a lot of guys.

It did make me wonder about gunshots during hunting seasons.

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
There are SO many other variables to worry about that I almost ignore the moon. Some say that it can be a trigger for the rut to begin but if you get wrapped up in that witchcraft you'll forget about the basics of hunting. Eyes open, movements into the wind, good glass, good boots, good sleep when possible & a heavy dose of patience and toughness are more important in my opinion. Good luck in '17!

We have mule deer walk across our shooting range all the time. We have to stop shooting while they cross the range right in front of the targets. It's an exercise in self control for a lot of guys.

It did make me wonder about gunshots during hunting seasons.

I know what you are saying here and I have had this happen from everything to whitetail, mules, cow elk and of course, turkeys. However, I really think it is the timing as much as anything. Critters during any rut or breeding cycle go a little "nuts" and through their evolution every other critter in the woods knows this and takes advantage. So I often wonder if this also causes these suckers to add an extra layer of vigilance to their energy expenditure during this vulnerable time. It is a little backwards thinking that is more of an organized chaos, but the way I see it, if they are super alert for some tail, they are that much more alert for danger.

Otherwise I agree between Bar and Robby Dennings... Voodoo that is totally out of my control.