2023 Central Montana Elk/ Mule Deer Combo Dates

everestwc

FNG
Hello!

I was wondering if those of you with more experience elk hunting could provide some guidance if you have it. I'm scheduled and booked to go on a hunt with an outfitter on a private ranch in Central MT for elk during the 2023 RIFLE season. The dates available are October 21-24, Oct 26-29, 31-Nov 3, Nov 5-8, Nov 15-18, Nov 20-23.
I also have the opportunity to add a mule deer on for a trophy fee which I want to do because I haven't hunted mule deer before.

My question is... which dates would you choose? Full moon is 10/28.

Thanks!

hobbes

WKR
If it's a private ranch, it probably doesn't really matter. If you really want a MD, I'd go in November, probably 15-18, as stated above. If it borders public land, there may be more elk on the ranch after opening week due to public land pressure.

t_carlson

WKR
5-8

I’ve killed my 3 best mule deer in Montana before the 10th. The single digits are prime. Bucks covering more country than later on, and more bucks are still alive.

OP
everestwc

everestwc

FNG
Thanks for the replies... They said the first hunt in October has the opportunity for the first bull of the season which could be an advantage, but more than likely little mule deer activity.
I'm also driving from the East Coast so I guess there could be some bad weather in November?
I'm leaning towards the Nov 5-8.

t_carlson

WKR
It can dump a foot of snow overnight anytime from Sept 10 on.

Yes, there may be an advantage in getting the first bull opening day. But if you're on private land, there's a good chance that public hunting pressure will drive more elk onto the property you are hunting as the season goes on. That may depend on your local herd. I'd talk to the outfitter more.

Goathill

FNG
I've hunted Mt for elk since 1987, and IMO the middle of September for archery and the last days of the general season (November) has always proven best for me. I have only ever hunted public land, no experience with private ranches.