Full Choke for Stevens .410???

Scott-12

FNG
Need some help here. I picked up a turkey .410 for my 8 yr old. Most of our shots are going to be around 10-20 yards. I can't find any discussion on the internet for shots closer than 20 yards. I will have a red dot for him but want to give him some margin for error. Last year our turkeys came from 10, 12, 15 and 15 yards...so they most likely will be 10-15.

Has anyone switched to a full choke for these guns to leave some margin for error? Would a modified choke work out to 25-30 yards with the amount of pellets in tss? If so, what brand makes these chokes? I'm only seeing extra full chokes so far. I bought a couple boxes of Apex Ninja 9.5 to try.

Any patterning experiences welcome especially close range.

OP
S

Scott-12

FNG
An additional thought, I would like to be able to reach out to 30-35 yards so would like to use tss instead of just using lead.

Samson7x

WKR
With my gun (mossberg sa410), I tried full and xtra full Jebbs chokes and the full had a tighter, better pattern. The xtra full apparently had a little too much constriction causing some displacement. When I called Jebbs, they actually recommended the XXfull. This was with Rogue 9.5's and as you may know, Jebbs owns Rogue.

The full I'm currently using would be extremely tight at 10yds, but I killed a Tom at 30yds stone dead last season. Had a buddy drop one at 50. TSS is money with a 410.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've missed more at 10 or less with an xtra full than I have at longer ranges with a regular full.

jha22msu

FNG
I have killed 2 at 14 steps with the Indian Creek .390 in my 301 & Viper 1oz #10s. I tried several chokes. The factory actually was good enough to hunt with this load. Wilson custom loads #10s and Jebs XX FULL hammers at 30 for sure. I’m sure the others do to but when tested most at 40 they all seemed about maxed out.

Coldtrail

WKR
I've got a couple .410s I use for small game and played with the chokes to get them dialed in, seems like the .410 just plain likes a full choke, I noticed no real improvement going up or down with chokes. I know you are doing turkey so need specific shot, but I actually got my best patterns with 2.5" vs 3" shells.

I do like a full choke with the TSS 9 shot. It’s definitely worth patterning. I also used just a plain lead 9 shot shell to get sighted in and then fine tuned with the TSS. Too expensive to be throwing $10 a shot down range to sight in.

OP
S

Scott-12

FNG
I do like a full choke with the TSS 9 shot. It’s definitely worth patterning. I also used just a plain lead 9 shot shell to get sighted in and then fine tuned with the TSS. Too expensive to be throwing $10 a shot down range to sight in.

So true, I'm already sighted in with lead.

Looks like the Trulock .410 choke comes in .385 diameter (so extra full I think).
Indian Creek comes in .385 and .390. (both currently out of stock)
Kicks - Only has the 20 gauge 301 option.

I reached out to Carlson. One of their techs said that as long as the tss is between size 7-10 then the sporting clays tubes will work. I am going to order the modified and try that.

Guys, I really appreciate all the replies.

49ereric

WKR
Friend has an adjustable choke 410 and IC worked best when we worked up a few loads with magtech brass.
all my old 410’s are factory full and tend to have a thin spot in the middle of the pattern.

Coldtrail

WKR
Friend has an adjustable choke 410 and IC worked best when we worked up a few loads with magtech brass.
all my old 410’s are factory full and tend to have a thin spot in the middle of the pattern.
Interesting, what size shot were you testing? For me the center got worse with a more open choke with 6, 7.5, & 8...I can't get my hands on 9. Ultimately I found #6 full the best, with only a single digit # of shot less with 7.5 @ 20yrds 10" circle. Actually shot cottontail at 77yrds with 6/full....one pellet must have snuck through, using beagles or wouldn't have taken the chance on wounding it.

49ereric

WKR
Interesting, what size shot were you testing? For me the center got worse with a more open choke with 6, 7.5, & 8...I can't get my hands on 9. Ultimately I found #6 full the best, with only a single digit # of shot less with 7.5 @ 20yrds 10" circle. Actually shot cottontail at 77yrds with 6/full....one pellet must have snuck through, using beagles or wouldn't have taken the chance on wounding it.
Lawrence Magnum #8
he had some chilled shot he thought would be fine but horrible patterns. I had told him mag shot only and that is what i use for hand loads.
range was 25 yards

Last edited:
OP
S

Scott-12

FNG
An update....Took my boy out last weekend. Used the 20 gauge with full choke (20-25 yards max). We had toms hang up about 30 yards twice just out of our comfort zone. We did end up shooting two birds at 12 and 4 yards. I think I'm going to start carrying two .410s for him. One with an EF choke and one with a modified. Ha

We don't use blinds but set a Heads Up decoy at our feet along with a DSD jake and laying hen out front. This has been a killer set-up throughout the years. The 4 yard shot was crazy. He was coming in our lap to fight the HUD.

Coldtrail

WKR
An update....Took my boy out last weekend. Used the 20 gauge with full choke (20-25 yards max). We had toms hang up about 30 yards twice just out of our comfort zone. We did end up shooting two birds at 12 and 4 yards. I think I'm going to start carrying two .410s for him. One with an EF choke and one with a modified. Ha

We don't use blinds but set a Heads Up decoy at our feet along with a DSD jake and laying hen out front. This has been a killer set-up throughout the years. The 4 yard shot was crazy. He was coming in our lap to fight the HUD.
That's a great story, I'm sure you got him hooked for sure!