From Axis to FMJ

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What kind of targets are you guys that are getting bends in them shooting?

At the time our range had the Pacific Target butts with heavy rubber matting on the backside. Not sure if it was that heavy rubber or what, but after about 3 weeks all those arrows wobbled in that last 6-8", and groups opened up considerably. And these were the 300's.

fordnut

FNG
Hey y'all. New to forum. Been shooting FMJ for years. Never a problem great hunting arrow. Yes you can bend them but you really have to abuse them. Only had them bend when I get up into the shoulder but they still did their job. Penetration is incredible

pgk

FNG
FWIW, the FMJ's have revolutionized my shooting. I used to be afraid of anything past 40 but now I drop em in at 50 like a pro and I might try further yet. FMJ Injexion 340's with 100gr slick tricks, 65# Hoyt Charger with NAP Quickspin. Haven't had any issues with durability so far. It's been worth the changeover to deep six. I used to wonder why my groups were so big, now I know it was the wind drift. I changed nothing in my shooting and the FMJ+Quickspin shrunk my average group size in half.

NorthT

FNG
I have shot both, I prefer the FMJ. Easier pull, more weight. Last batch of axis I bought I had 7 out of the dozen that would spin true, contacted Easton, told that the shop must have cut them wrong wth? I have brought more since then and they were fine. Both are good. ive had the same dozen fmj for 2.5 years and haven't bent one yet.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
ive had the same dozen fmj for 2.5 years and haven't bent one yet.

Have you spun your arrows on a good arrow spinner lately?

There's "bent" which I never had, and then there's "out of round" as I would call it where they won't spin true at all. That's what mine did after only three weeks of shooting. But I was shooting them at 80 yards so it was real easy to see the differences from how they shot when they were new.

NorthT

FNG
Yes they will spin. Just refletched them for this year. I have bent some before, not saying you can't do it. If you shoot a super stuff target and don't pull straight out you can bend them. It's aluminum after all

Takeem406

WKR
I did. Went through a mulie buck at 65 yards. Never found the arrow. That's a good combo for long range mulies!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just made the switch a few weeks ago, got a used set of 5 from a friend to test out. My setup is identical to what I had been shooting and I get an extra 4" penetration into a block target over the Easton Bloodlines that I had been shooting. The speed coming out of my bow is noticeably slower although I have not choreographed it yet but they group awesome, POI changes by about 3" at 20 yards between the two arrows.

Currently am shooting Easton FMJ 340 spline @ 29" with a 125gr. tip and blazer vanes out of a Mathews Drenalin.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
FMJ are pretty stout stuff in my experiences for hunting. You must understand to not pull them on an angle because of the metal.

Another arrow I love is the ACC. Same stuff but reverse of the FMJ, they were around long before FMJ came out.

Straight carbon I use carbon express Reds and Bluz.

Sent from my iPhone