From Axis to FMJ

Brandon Guitierez

Lil-Rokslider
I will be transitioning to FMJ's soon. Was looking at the specs on a Cabelas catalog. It says that the arrows only take a certain kind of broadhead. I love Grim Reapers. All you vets... can I run Grim Reaper expandables with FMJ arrows? Stupid question I know, but really... can I?

jmez

WKR
If you use the regular HIT inserts then they will work with any broadhead. The Deep Six HIT insert takes a smaller thread but no reason to use them without a micro diameter shaft.

Depending on the blade design of the broadhead you may want to use the BAR rings with the FMJ's to protect the end of the shaft.

OP
Brandon Guitierez

Brandon Guitierez

Lil-Rokslider
If you use the regular HIT inserts then they will work with any broadhead. The Deep Six HIT insert takes a smaller thread but no reason to use them without a micro diameter shaft.

Depending on the blade design of the broadhead you may want to use the BAR rings with the FMJ's to protect the end of the shaft.

Hey I appreciate it brother. Thank you.

can i ask why you are changing arrows? I have never understood the FMJ, i had a cousin and a buddy that had them and they were constantly bending.

Joe

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I hated the FMJ's. They shot great......until they didn't. Problem was it didn't take but about 3 weeks for them to start wobbling like crazy.

WKR
I just switched the other direction. FMJ's durability is terrible. You can shoot the standard broadhead size/thread on them though so that shouldn't be a problem.

4ester

WKR
Gold Tip Kenetics......

Used to shoot Axis and found them terribly weak and fragile. The Gold Tips with Ballistic Collars are working out much better for me personally.

>>>-------------------->

Last edited:
Same thoughts my hunting buddy shot fmj's and had nothing but issues I've been shooting axis with deep six for years never had issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from Carbon injections to FMJ injections! I love the weight increase and the ease of pulling out of targets. With my carbon injections when I shot them into a 3-D target I could barely get them out with all my might. With the FMJ injections I can pull them out with 2 fingers.

I shoot 2 deep 6 inserts upfront. Ive been shooting them for awhile and I have had no problems. Haven't bent one!

I've broken a few that smashed rocks, but a carbon would have too

The FMJ are higher tolerances which equates to better accuracy! I'm shooting great with these arrows!

Gold Tip Kenetics......

Used to shoot Axis and found them terribly weak and fragile. The Gold Tips with Ballistic Collars are working out much better for me personally.

>>>-------------------->

You might have had a bad batch. I've found axis to be super tough. Eastonreleashed
A thing awhile back about a bad batch of axis arrows that were really fragile. You could return them and they would make it right.

4ester

WKR
You might have had a bad batch. I've found axis to be super tough. Eastonreleashed
A thing awhile back about a bad batch of axis arrows that were really fragile. You could return them and they would make it right.

Yeah I heard about that so I tried I contacted Easton. Never heard back from them. Lost a customer probably forever.

>>>-------------------->

I shoot Axis 340s and at 10.3gpr they are tough as nails...no problems at all. I only shoot FMJs for big game like bison. They can get bent and wobble after a while.

OP
Brandon Guitierez

Brandon Guitierez

Lil-Rokslider
can i ask why you are changing arrows? I have never understood the FMJ, i had a cousin and a buddy that had them and they were constantly bending.

Joe

I keep hearing about better kenetics with the FMJs'. Other than that I have been a bit concerned about them bending. I've shot AXIS for two years now, never had a problem. Given the comments to my question in this forum, and knowing most of these guys are way more experienced that me means I'll be sticking with my Axis arrows.

DWinVA

WKR
I guess I've been lucky w/ my FMJs. I've shot as many as 6 Whitetails in one season with the same arrow. I love how heavy they are and how hard they hit. I always get complete pass thrus out of my 70 lb Alphamax with 125 grain Snuffer SS broadheads. Good luck.

God Bless.

OP
Brandon Guitierez

Brandon Guitierez

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had any problems with Axis or FMJs. What kind of targets are you guys that are getting bends in them shooting?

never shot the FMJ arrows. I figured going to the FMJ was an upgrade from the Axis. But from the comments, I think I'll stick with the Axis arrows. Don't fix what ain't broke right.