Freezer Brand Recommendations

slimC

FNG
Looking for a brand recommendation on a deep freezer or standup freezer, one I had in the past was 7 CuFt Deep freezer from Magic Chef (Home Depot) and was terrible quality. It will go inside the house, really just want some thing that is not going to go out and ruin my meat. Everything I see online has mixed reviews.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Lots of good products out there. All I will say is make sure you get one that will go down to at least -10 deg. 15 would be better.

ST52v

WKR
Call around and talk with the repair people in your area. My parents freezer just went out, while under warranty. The repair guy said most of the new ones are made out of plastic and are junk!!! Might be further ahead to buy an older one and have it rebuilt. They just don’t build anything like they use to. Our electric range just blew up 3 days shy of 1 year. GE will have to fix it, but I know it won’t last very long. Pretty sad for $1000 + range. Good luck

hunterjmj

WKR
We bought a kenmore upright about 6 years ago and so far it's still kicking. I bought the most basic model they had. All this new electronic crap fails at some point.
I'd like to get an alarm system for it but for now I just check it once a day.

CorbLand

WKR
We bought a kenmore upright about 6 years ago and so far it's still kicking. I bought the most basic model they had. All this new electronic crap fails at some point.
I'd like to get an alarm system for it but for now I just check it once a day.
Alarms are cheap. Just spend the 20 bucks and buy one. Ask me how I know.

CorbLand

WKR
I'm thinking first hand experience, yes?
Technically it was my mom but I still lived there, so close enough.

It was just the two of us, so we rarely got into the freezer and luckily caught it before we lost the whole freezer but we did lose about a 1/3 of it. The alarms are well worth the money.

My chest freezer works but insulation on it is very poor. I've been tempted to glue some 3" foam around it and on the lid. I discovered the inefficiency when I left a 1/4 sheet of 3" foam block on top of it and when I moved it about 2 days later i noticed the surface of the freezer was near frozen where the foam had been