Freeze dried…..?

ethan

WKR
I’m not a picky eater, i could eat the same meal every day for a week straight and it doesn’t bother me. Mountain house, peak, backpackers pantry, whichever is fine. The only issue I have is after 5 or 6 days I start to feel like crap and sluggish, which I would assume is the sodium??? Looking at some of the different the nutritional info, it looks like mtn house has quite a bit less sodium than others.

Anyone else deal with the same thing or have any tips?

jbs121s

FNG
Lots of people are freeze drying at home now with the harvest right and other brand machines. I'm seeing various freeze dried home made meals at our local farmers markets. Maybe check online for people freeze drying meals in your area.

OP
ethan

ethan

WKR
I’ve tried a few dehydrated meals but they never really fully rehydrated. Crunchy rice or pasta every time. But I didn’t experiment much with it.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Letting it soak for 1/2 hour helps with dehydrated meals. Down fall is when you are hungry you’re hungry. I’ve found with chicken instant pot then dehydrate will rehydrate. Every other way has been chicken rocks. Elk and veggies do well. It’s taken a lot of trial and error to get our meals down. I would like a freeze dryer and will get one soon. Likewise on a week of mt house they just don’t work as a meal for me

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
Look at Peak Refuel. I’m very mindful of sodium intake. Their stuff isn’t as salty as the others, and the taste is awesome. You won’t escape the soft serve, inherent with backpacking meals, though.

There’s a lot of factors at play if you’re spending several days in the mountains with alot of exertion. The effects may been seen after a freeze-dried meal, but that’s likely not the only culprit. (Example: too much or too little sodium during big efforts is a know culprit for ultra runs…runs…).

@ethan I wrote a guide on dehydrating I’m happy to send you (free) if you want to go in the DIY direction to lower salt content. There’s also some free online articles I wrote for Bear Hunting magazine and a few others.

There is not excess salt in mountain house. I have no idea what causes your lethargy, but I don't see how it can be salt. What else do you eat during this week? What are you doing? How many hours of sleep are you getting? How many calories are you taking in?

OP
ethan

ethan

WKR
There’s a lot of factors at play if you’re spending several days in the mountains with alot of exertion. The effects may been seen after a freeze-dried meal, but that’s likely not the only culprit. (Example: too much or too little sodium during big efforts is a know culprit for ultra runs…runs…).

@ethan I wrote a guide on dehydrating I’m happy to send you (free) if you want to go in the DIY direction to lower salt content. There’s also some free online articles I wrote for Bear Hunting magazine and a few others.
That would be awesome V2P, thanks you!

OP
ethan

ethan

WKR
There is not excess salt in mountain house. I have no idea what causes your lethargy, but I don't see how it can be salt. What else do you eat during this week? What are you doing? How many hours of sleep are you getting? How many calories are you taking in?

That’s very likely, I know I don’t eat enough calories but that’s just kind of the way I am. I don’t not eat because I’m trying to loose weight or anything, l just have never eaten much. When I do try to take in more calories I end up feeling like I just ate thanksgivig dinner and I just wan to take a nap!

That’s very likely, I know I don’t eat enough calories but that’s just kind of the way I am. I don’t not eat because I’m trying to loose weight or anything, l just have never eaten much. When I do try to take in more calories I end up feeling like I just ate thanksgivig dinner and I just wan to take a nap!
Olive oil, honey, etc., will give you lots of calories with zero fullness issues.