Free standing tent that actually fits 2people

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
In search of a free-standing tent 3-person tent so it will fit two people. Will be using this tent above timberline and breaking it down and setting it up every day in the dark. Will be carrying this around on my back, so weight is a concern but will be factoring in all variables. I have a floorless shelter that I usually take but, in this situation, this weekend proved less than ideal. Cost is defiantly a driver in the final decision, but availability is paramount as I need this in hand in the next week or so. As you'll see my top contenders below have a varied price range but similar features of two doors and two vestibules. Anyone used these and want to give some feedback? Any choices that I should be considering instead?

MSR Hubba Hubba 3 $579
68"x 84" height 46" weight 61oz

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 $450
70" x 90" height 43" weight 63oz

XKG Summit $320
55" x 86.5 height 41.5 weight 75oz

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have the Copper Spur and am very pleased with it. Sets up real fast and legit can do 2 guys with gear in vestibule area.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any more input from someone that's used a 3 person? Gotta make a choice very soon

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
We have the Copper Spur and it is a good piece of equipment. Weathered some intense storms snug as a bug.

I've had 3 copper spurs and they were all fantastic. Should have kept the ul3. I like my Zpacks but not quite as roomy as the CS.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tarptent Scarp 2 has enough room to fit 2, and can expand to fit 3 short pads in a pinch. Two doors, two vestibules, simple setup, 4 season rated with optional crossing poles. Fits tall dudes with the vertical end walls. Cheaper than some of your listed options.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a nemo losi 3p, easily fits two with gear and is pretty dang easy to set up and pretty resistant to a lot of the issues people complain about the copper spur line (high winds, sagging in snow, etc).

Nemo discontinued the line but they can be found in the used market.