Frank Church Fly In vs Pack In

Hoping to get some insight from some folks with experience in the Frank Church. I'm looking at the price to be flown in versus the price to either be packed in or rent llamas or something along those lines and would appreciate some perspective from folks who have done one or the other or maybe both.

I hunted in there for the first time last year and was able to kill a deer the first morning. I was unable to hunt archery elk this year so I'll be tag heavy with an elk and a deer tag the last 12-13 days of October. I'll be solo so that's another consideration for how deep/remote I want to be. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

huntnful

WKR
I'd use a packer, and have them also planned for the pack out portion as well. Getting flown in means you're bringing everything down to the air strip, solo, and you're not likely to kill a bull down there close to the strip at all.

OP
trouthunter1106
I'd use a packer, and have them also planned for the pack out portion as well. Getting flown in means you're bringing everything down to the air strip, solo, and you're not likely to kill a bull down there close to the strip at all.
Thanks! That’s kind of been my feeling. I don’t know that being flown into a strip would be much different than just hiking in solo from a trailhead somewhere. I just don’t know how much pressure the areas inside of a 5 mile radius are getting at those strips.

huntnful

WKR
Thanks! That’s kind of been my feeling. I don’t know that being flown into a strip would be much different than just hiking in solo from a trailhead somewhere. I just don’t know how much pressure the areas inside of a 5 mile radius are getting at those strips.
The harder part is potentially getting into the trailheads in general after the snow. Or getting to the trailhead, and then getting snow while you're hunting. Those couple of roads that lead back into the area from the top can get really dicey after the snow. If the weather is good, and forecasted good, I wouldn't think there'd be an issue just hiking in with no assistance.

That area isn't plentiful with animals, so an outfitter way be aware of an area that holds a few more elk than others, which might be helpful also.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
What Huntnful said. Multiple times vehicles have been stranded at top due to an early snow storm. Most of the access to the Frank comes off the top. It's been a long time but have flown in multiple times and camped at one of the airstrips. Downside is a lot of climbing >2000 ft to get to the elk.