Franchi Affinity 3 Upland What Gauge to get?

BFreed59

FNG
I have been looking at a new shotgun for a while now and the Affinity 3 elite upland has caught my eye. A local shop has both a 12 and 20 gauge in stock, for a decent price, and I have quite a bit of store credit to use there.

What's everyone's thought on what gauge to get, mainly hunting grouse, Huns and pheasant, with a dog.

Also is there anything that would steer you away from the Affinity 3?

JeffP_Or

WKR
I've shot an Affinity 3 Elite for waterfowl [mostly] for three years now and really like it; it has been completely trouble free. I feel it was a good price point. It is super light and easy to carry. Even as light as it is the heavier 3-inch waterfowl loads feel like less recoil to me. I also think it looks sleek with clean lines for an autoloader.

I shoot a 12 but I don't think you can go wrong with a 20-gauge - especially shooting upland over dogs. Couple that with some of the shell options available from manufacturers these days and that seems like a strong choice to me.

OP
B

BFreed59

FNG
I've shot an Affinity 3 Elite for waterfowl [mostly] for three years now and really like it; it has been completely trouble free. I feel it was a good price point. It is super light and easy to carry. Even as light as it is the heavier 3-inch waterfowl loads feel like less recoil to me. I also think it looks sleek with clean lines for an autoloader.

I shoot a 12 but I don't think you can go wrong with a 20-gauge - especially shooting upland over dogs. Couple that with some of the shell options available from manufacturers these days and that seems like a strong choice to me.
Thanks for the response, how do you like the fiber optic pin on it, I have never used a shotgun with anything other than a brass bead.

Also have you tried the shims to adjust the cast and drop, does it work well or not make much of a difference?

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if you ever plan on hunting geese or turkey but you may want to consider that when choosing gauge. I have a 12 gauge and find it’s very versatile. No isssues hunting doves with 2-3/4” #7/8’s or honkers with 3” #2’s and everything in between.

No comment on the Franchi since I don’t own one…yet. Shouldered one last week and really liked it. Will probably get the Affinity 3.

Get a 20 gauge, I mostly switched to one 2 years ago. Everything from upland to geese. No difference other than less shot. A bird you would get with a 12 but not a 20 is probably just wounded anyway. Steel 6s for small upland works good or 3 inch 3s for ducks. Geese I use 2s or bismuth 2s if your gun will pattern them. Most 20 gauges are picky with 2s. Personally I would get a browning or Winchester so you get the back bored barrel. Patterns will be better all around.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
I got my wife an Affinity compact 20ga maybe 5 or 6 years ago and, after shooting it, I immediately ordered a full-size one for myself. Easily my favorite shotgun in the stable and now all my 12's do is collect dust. Points very natural, eats everything without a hiccup, and even the stiffest 20ga 3" mags are a pleasure to shoot compared to 12ga field loads.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Affinity 3 in 12 gauge and love it. I hunt pheasants over flushing dogs and like the extra power for late season roosters in SD, MN and IA, especially on windy days. Its also my gun for turkey hunting, and the limited waterfowl hunting that I do.

For what you described, really can't go wrong with 12 or 20 though.

OP
B

BFreed59

FNG
Thanks for all the responses everyone, I ended up picking up the 20 ga. I figured it would be a great gun to use myself and would work out great for my wife and daughter to use when they do come along. Hope to get it out shooting here soon.

OP
B

BFreed59

FNG
How much difference was there between the 12 and 20? Weight? Is the stock the same? Barrels?
I only looked at the 12 in the store compared to the 20, but looks very similar, they feel close to the same, the 12 is slightly heavier (9 oz. from the website) but still feels quite light. I think the barrel is 2 inches longer as well. Depending on how well I like it when out hunting, and how well it holds up over time, I may look to pick up a 12 ga in a few year.

yojo.3

FNG
Went into a shop this week to pick up shotgun shells. Decided to do my ar build so put a few pieces on layaway. And ive been waiting for my local shop to get the elite 3.5 in timber camo in. Well, thats on layaway now too.

Riplip

WKR
20 gauge all day long for anything other than serious water fowling. So much nicer to carry and shoot. So many great loads from super light to magnum, does it all.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Thanks for the response, how do you like the fiber optic pin on it, I have never used a shotgun with anything other than a brass bead.

Also have you tried the shims to adjust the cast and drop, does it work well or not make much of a difference?
Apologies for the late reply - got sidetracked with hunting season and all....glad you found one! Great choice.

Fiberoptic: I like looking at the fiberoptic two-tone site when shouldering and dinking around - but in actuality, I don't notice it when shooting at all [that is supposed to be how it is, right?]. It is my first experience over brass beads but not sure it changed anything for me.

As for the shims - I really wish I knew someone who could fully explain this to me; I understand it in general. I have also read the instructions and youtubed it. I am sure I could benefit from the fine tuning as I catch myself 'adjusting' the shoulder mount in heavy clothes - but for the life of me, I cannot fully grasp the 'which shim for which direction' and therefore have not messed with them! I put one or two in as a trial and threw up the gun but without the heat of the moment pressure, I could not see it change anything [probably because I self-adjust and have for about 40 years now.....:LOL:].

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve changed shims and cast on a SBE3. Mount the gun and make sure you are getting a solid cheek weld, if you are not looking straight down a flat rib, adjust to the next shim one at a time. It’s a tedious process but by the end I was looking straight down the rib and point of impact was point of aim.

I watched a Benelli utube video adjusting shims and shooting between each shot to see poi/poa shift. Well worth the watch.

dtrkyman

WKR
Between the two 20ga, I have several 20s so I would be looking for a 28 personally.

TxLite

WKR
I got the 20 “for my wife”. I use it more than my 12 gauge when duck hunting. Does great with high velocity duck loads. If I’m not running high velocity for dove season it will have cycling issues. Other than that it’s been awesome

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

.20, for ducks, geese, quail, turkey, dove. Ducks? 6 shot. Takes 1 bb to down a duck. My buddie has used a .28 gauge for years.

Attachments

• 20230128_122436.jpg
    20230128_122436.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20221221_160135.jpg
    IMG_20221221_160135.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 5