Form while drawing your bow back? Does it matter?

cmeier117

WKR
Quick question for you guys that have been shooting awhile and have some experience. I have started shooting a lot with my bow (this will be my first year bowhunting for everything) and I notice a lot of people draw their bow back with their elbow already elevated or up? I draw back with my elbow in a more downward position and then slide my elbow up when I am at full draw? Is there anything wrong with this? I am shooting an older mission bow my father in-law has let me use for awhile till I get my dream bow. ;) It is maxed at 71lbs and is not a problem pulling back but I can't pull it back with a high elbow like I mentioned earlier. I played baseball in college and jacked my shoulder up and it wants to pull out of socket when I have it in certain positions. So is it OK the way I am drawing as long as I have proper form when at full draw?

weaver

WKR
Ya id say it doesnt matter as long as you are consistent at full draw. A good release and follow through are the most important imo.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are just hunting, I would try and draw your bow back with as little movement as possible. If right handed, raise your right arm up to parallel and draw straight back, the less movement during your draw sequence the less chance you have of being spotted by your intended game.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drawing back with the least amount of movement can be crucial while hunting. Practice the same while practicing.

J-Daddy

WKR
Don't sky it, lol....
I do draw away from my face...Took a couple shots over the years with a back tension release to the grill so I got in the habit of drawing out to the side more than coming into my face when I hit full draw. I don't like getting punched in the mouth at all, but I like it even less when I do it to myself.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I drew or drawed or I was drawing in front of a mirror last night to see what I look like. ( I am uglier than I remember, but that's besides the point.) The bow stays pointed at the target for the most part and has what I would call limited movement. Just my elbow stays low and tight up against my body and they I slide my elbow up when I reach full draw. Maybe I will post a video of me drawing back when I get time.

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said you want one smooth movement.

If your elbow is pointing down while drawing that most likely means your are sky drawing or drawing over your target. This could mean you have too heavy of a draw weight. You want to be able to draw straight back with ease while keeping your sight on target as much as you possible can.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I know I am not skying it. Like I said the bow don't move much when I am drawing. But I will work on keeping my elbow more elevated. Thanks for your guys tips! I have a lot to work on and I am addicted to shooting that bow! I love shooting!!

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Thanks for the advice guys! I have watched some videos and am drawing all the way you were saying too and the bow is much more stable and it is actually easier to draw now. Mush more consistent. I am waiting on my new target to get in next week to really start practicing a lot but as of now I feel much more comfortable drawing the way you have all said!

don't draw with your elbow lower than your shoulder. I raise the bow up, draw smoothly back with my elbow slightly above my shoulder. If you cannot do that you need to lower your draw weight. Like they said minimal movement is key.

jamaro

FNG
I would need to see a video but I think if you are keeping your elbow low and tight you are not really using your back muscles.. That might work while you are in the yard pounding the target but try doing the same thing while sitting on your butt... You really need to engage your back muscles, especially if it is cold..
j

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
don't draw with your elbow lower than your shoulder. I raise the bow up, draw smoothly back with my elbow slightly above my shoulder. If you cannot do that you need to lower your draw weight. Like they said minimal movement is key.

This is what I do now. I never had anyone show me before. Now it is smooth and actually easier to draw like this.

"I would need to see a video but I think if you are keeping your elbow low and tight you are not really using your back muscles.. That might work while you are in the yard pounding the target but try doing the same thing while sitting on your butt... You really need to engage your back muscles, especially if it is cold.."

Yes I noticed this while sitting down. I was practicing shooting at 20 yards while sitting and I couldn't do it with my old way of pulling back... Now I can shoot sitting down no problem and my back gets sore the next day if I shoot a lot.

jamaro

FNG
Cool... I don't know if it is a trick or tip or whatever but if you ever get stuck at full-draw and your elbow is pointing straight back you can drop your elbow to you side and it will let you hold longer... You will need to lift it back up for proper form but it will buy you some time at full-draw..

J