WKR
Who is the “up vehicle”

The one going up

Or the one that’s up and coming down?

I’m going to assume the latter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sundy

FNG
Have you ever tried to back down a steep hill?

Have you ever tried to back up a steep hill?
I've had to do both (due to inconsiderate DH drivers, me being the downhill driver, or me seeing a good spot jus behind me as an UH driver) - on some pretty aggressive 4x4 trails. I would say it's overall easier to back uphill than downhill. Typically you can see a rig coming and jump into a pull out.

Now if you're going uphill and you have a great spot just a few feet behind you, be considerate and back up. I've done that and saved plenty a long distance backup - but the rule is always plan on yielding to uphill.

I believe it mostly spurs from dropping momentum which was a bigger issue with older vehicles. It's easier to start up again on a DH than a steep UH climb.

SonnyDay

WKR
Same rule is supposed to apply to hiking trails... but not a lot of folks seem to know it.

SWOHTR

WKR
Who is the “up vehicle”

The one going up

Or the one that’s up and coming down?

I’m going to assume the latter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The one who is going up, ie ascending. To the previous post points, try backing up a dirt road on a hill, not easy.

def90

WKR
Have you ever tried to back up a steep hill?
Yes, it's much easier to lose control trying to back down a hill than back up a hill. In general when travelling downhill you have the advantage of seeing where you are going as well as the ability to use engine braking and so on, try backing downhill over an obstacle without the use of engine braking.

In the end, yes the uphill travelling vehicle has the right of way but in practice if you have a spot that you can easily duck off on then just pull over and let the other guy pass.

Poser

WKR
Yes, it's much easier to lose control trying to back down a hill than back up a hill. In general when travelling downhill you have the advantage of seeing where you are going as well as the ability to use engine braking and so on, try backing downhill over an obstacle without the use of engine braking.

In the end, yes the uphill travelling vehicle has the right of way but in practice if you have a spot that you can easily duck off on then just pull over and let the other guy pass.

Came to say the same. Backing downhill, you don’t have the gearing opting of going into 1 low and, particularly if you have a heavy vehicle , it can be very dangerous. That being said, if you are close to a pull out and it makes sense, back down hill.

Also, hand signals can be enormously beneficial in such situations. If you know there are vehicles behind you on a tight road, let the passing traffic know. As a user group, Dirt bikers are particularly good about communicating the # of riders in their group and acknowledging your closed fist as meaning “zero.”

wytx

WKR
If you're going to be rolling along at about 10 mph then pull over and let folks pass, on the main roads.

In Western Montana, many of the roads have pullouts so incoming log trucks can let the outgoing log trucks pass. In active logging areas, I spend extra attention to escape routes. Loaded trucks can't stop well on icey roads. Slow and steady beats the hell out of panic decisions.

If possible, park completely off the road. If you park in a pull out, you will be a point of discussion. With snow, walk out carefully before to verify snow depth. Drifting snow can appear flat but may cover a steep drop off. I've seen a few where one taillight is the only sign of a bad choice.

If pulling a trailer, you might want to drive it once without before you commit. Last year I skipped hunting an area because there was a loaded log truck going out about every 15 minutes. There were a number of blind corners that were only 10ft wide and didn't feel the need to risk the surprise.

Choupique

WKR
Here’s a rule you may not know while driving in the mtns.

There’s a narrow mtn road going up the hill.
Two trucks meet on the road. One truck going up, one truck going down.

Which truck has the ROW?

The truck pulling the biggest trailer

Sundy

FNG
The truck pulling the biggest trailer
Technically the uphill truck has the right of way and the downhill moving truck should pull over or back up.

Hopefully common curiosity prevails and downhill could go if they have a trailer or if the uphill truck has an easy spot to pull into.

Choupique

WKR
I didn't know there was an actual rule. Today I learned something.

Fortunately I've always had good luck with people being courteous when I was dragging a trailer around on the mountain.

The uphill rule is especially important in adverse muddy or snowy conditions. Backing down a slope when it's slick gets dangerous when all 4 wheels lock up midway. Only way to steer is to take foot off the brakes which is counterintuitive when you're sliding.