For you back country coffee lovers.....

herdbull

FNG

Ozz08

WKR
Nice. Thanks for the heads up. I even use the via mix at home when I'm running too late to brew a pot or just want a cup in a pinch.

OP
H

herdbull

FNG
50 count might be a little much for a week or 2 trip but it's always nice to have some around the desk at work as well. I've gotten accustomed to keeping a few in the truck when traveling from WI to CO too. Nothing worse than truck stop coffee at 3:00 am. I'll just grab some hot water or nuke some and be on my way down the interstate.

For instant it is pretty good stuff.

dotman

WKR
50 count might be a little much for a week or 2 trip but it's always nice to have some around the desk at work as well. I've gotten accustomed to keeping a few in the truck when traveling from WI to CO too. Nothing worse than truck stop coffee at 3:00 am. I'll just grab some hot water or nuke some and be on my way down the interstate.

For instant it is pretty good stuff.

Great idea, never even thought about using it on a long drive!

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I went through a bunch of these last October on a brown bear hunt. You can drink a lot of coffee sitting in a tent all day... Highly reccommend them for backpacking and it's hard to tell any difference from a fresh brewed cup a Joe!

Thanks for the tip - way cheaper at Staples than Starbucks!! Costco has them now too FYI.

OP
H

herdbull

FNG
dotman,
lol, don't worry, been there. It was about 4:00am, western Nebraska, I had been driving since 7:00pm the night before. We (dog and I) I fueled up, grabbed a fricken gallon size of truck stop slop and went on our way. He needed to stretch and do his thing so we pulled off to the side of the parking lot and I'm digging for one of his chewies, opened my bag full stuff that had Via's and his chewies in it, stared at my coffee, stared at the Via.....duh!!! Ya azzhat, why are drinking that garbage - lol. Ever since I keep them up front.

There is a downside to drinking coffee all day while stuck in a tent. It's that you're STUCK IN A TENT - lol.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
VIAs have revolutionized the way we do coffee on backpacking trips...way better tasting, and so much less trash than the Folgers singles we used to use. I usually buy them off amazon, 50 count for around $30 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Starbucks-VIA...ssv=size_name:50 Count&qid=1338859891&sr=1-38

Sometimes they are nearing their expiration date when they arrive (which is probably why they are so cheap), but it's not like they go bad. 50 didn't even come close to getting us through last season, so this year I will likely order even more...

I tried the ones from Starbucks last year and they tasted good to me. They came in all sorts of flavors. I've tried the mocha and the french roast and I thought they were actually pretty good. Lightweight and easy to make. Heat up water pour them in and that's all there is to it. I thought they worked great for backpacking.