Food for haul road

Wireman07

WKR
For the guys that are flying from the lower 48 to hunt the haul road, do you pre ration your meals by day and fly with your food for the hunt. Or do you buy everything up there? I'm heading up next year, and will most likely hike out 5 miles. Thought it would be handy to have everything already rationed per day and vacuum sealed then if you head out 5 miles and hunt for 4 or 5 days all you gotta do is grab 4 or 5 bags. Curious as to what the rest of you do for food. Thanks fellas!

mcseal2

WKR
I have not done that hunt, but if your packing all your food across tundra that far I’d be very weight conscious. Think high calories per ounce. Tundra is the toughest walking you will do. I’ve heard it said a mile of tundra is like 5 miles of mountains and I wouldn’t argue with that.

High calorie snacks you will eat and that agree with your system, and freeze dried mountain house, peak refuel, or similar meals that work with a light stove system would be my advice.

You can have a cooler of sandwich material, chips, etc at the truck for a change when you aren’t carrying it all.

We’ve always flown our freeze dried stuff and snacks up so we know we have what works for us. Stove fuel needs bought in AK for jetboils or similar systems. I like my MSR windburner system because I can use the burners on anything from the small cup to a skillet or 4.5L pot. Its redundancy to have 2 burners that work with the backpacking or base camp systems.

hoodb

FNG
I pack my food for each day in separate sealed bags, which is handy for longer trips. It helps save space and makes it easy to grab the right meal during the hunt. Buying food there can be costly, so it's smart to plan ahead. Have a safe trip and successful hunt!