Folks who used quilts this year - how was it??

A mummy shape is more heat efficient. As a result of the extra space in a rectangular bag, you generally will want to have a warmer bag than you need and end up with a whole lot of sleeping bag to haul around.
yes I do understand a mummy is more heat efficient, but the extra "space" you refer to is hardly quantifiable in terms of packed up volum. I haven't seen one these quilts in person but I imagine they're just as bulky and have even more heat voids than a rectangular.

My down rectangle is super light and packs just as small as my wifes mummy bag.. the benefit of a rectangle over a quilt would be the lower chance of drafting

BrianN

FNG
yes I do understand a mummy is more heat efficient, but the extra "space" you refer to is hardly quantifiable in terms of packed up volum. I haven't seen one these quilts in person but I imagine they're just as bulky and have even more heat voids than a rectangular.

My down rectangle is super light and packs just as small as my wifes mummy bag.. the benefit of a rectangle over a quilt would be the lower chance of drafting
If you like your rectangular then by all means roll with it but I think if you saw a high quality quilt in person you may be surprised at the bulk reduction compared to your full rectangular sleeping bag since a quilt is essentially a bottomless, hoodless mummy bag. Weight/bulk reduction is probably the #1 reason quilts have gained such popularity. As for a quilt having more heat voids than a rectangular bag, this really isn't the case. When a traditional sleeping bag is zipped closed, it has a fixed circumference and it is your body's job to warm that space. When a quilt is used with a good pad attachment system, the user has the ability to draw in the sides as close to each other as they choose meaning it has basically an adjustable circumference letting the user control to an extent the size of voids and thermal efficiency. Combine this with a good baffle design that drapes nice over the body and it's a great setup. The potential for drafts can be an issue for some quilt users but getting the correct size quilt and experience can reduce the chances of that being a real problem.

Poser

WKR

I couldn’t directly compare them as l haven’t used a rectangular bag since cub scouts, but I can’t imagine that the packed volume of a rectangular bag is close to the minimal size of an equivalent rated quilt when compressed. Drafts? Just cinch it tight under your pad and shouldn’t be an issue. That being said, I think that regular size quilts on wide pads could create draft problems due to lack of sufficient surface area from the quilt.

BrianN

FNG
I couldn’t directly compare them as l haven’t used a rectangular bag since cub scouts, but I can’t imagine that the packed volume of a rectangular bag is close to the minimal size of an equivalent rated quilt when compressed. Drafts? Just cinch it tight under your pad and shouldn’t be an issue. That being said, I think that regular size quilts on wide pads could create draft problems due to lack of sufficient surface area from the quilt.
It's a common misconception that a quilt is to go "around" your pad or that the pad goes "in" the quilts footbox. Not correct. 100% of the quilt is to remain on top of the pad so pad size has no bearing on things like drafts. The only thing the quilt should go around is your body.

KyleR1985

WKR
I love using a quilt. I get to the rating of the quilt, and well below it, with an insulated pad and layers if needed. I also have a big agnes McKinnis liner bag that I unzip and use as a liner quilt. It can be fully mummied if needed to cut a draft on a really cold windy night. It’s also pretty easy to rig up ways to keep drafts out with your quilt similar to the zenbivy design.

I can see a need for the risk management of a bag in extremely remote, and life threatening cold/wet conditions. But I’ve yet to hunt something where my quilt would be a risk to safety, and it’s far more comfortable.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that worries me is that my face usually gets cold overnight so with the sleeping bag I can just pull it over my head.

Wear a hat and a neck gaiter. I almost always have those two in my bag anyway. On a truly cold night, there are light down hats/hoods that will keep your noggin toasty. Enlightened Equipment makes one, UGQ another. There's probably others out there also.

I love my quilt. I've taken my 20 degree UGQ quilt down to 29 degrees and I was still toasty warm with just thin baselayers underneath. As long as your pad is up to snuff in R value and you manage for drafts either through pad straps or some type of bungee system, there's no reason you couldn't take a properly insulated into winter weather. I'd consider switching back to a bag for true subzero temperatures, but only reluctantly.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I use a quilt until weather dictates. Anything in the teens or colder I use my WM Kodiak. 30 degrees and up is the wheelhouse for a quilt for me. Things have to be extremely well thought out for a quilt to work in freezing temps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
Been using a 10 degree quilt. I love it for the room and less weight, bulk...use the little bungee keepers as it gets colder.
The one drawback, is when it is super cold. Like below 15 degrees, any little draft is MUCH more stabbing than when it's 40 to 70 in September. For a dedicated winter use I'd get a bag.
When it's hot it's nice to be able to flop a leg out ,etc. Or anytime , to just swing out of it to get up for a midnight pee, etc
As far as sizing , I don't think you want it to just barely drape over you and touch the pad on both side....um, no way...in fact , get one that is much wider than you think you need. Much less trouble...

Poser

WKR
It's a common misconception that a quilt is to go "around" your pad or that the pad goes "in" the quilts footbox. Not correct. 100% of the quilt is to remain on top of the pad so pad size has no bearing on things like drafts. The only thing the quilt should go around is your body.

I’ve never tried to put the foot box in the pad. I put the straps around my body in the summer, often just the lower strap and don’t use the upper body strap. However, in the winter, I put the straps under the pad, the colder it gets, the tighter I cinch them. I’ve taken a 20 degree quilt to below zero. My empirical evidence concludes that straps under the pad and cinched tight to the pad are warmer and far less draft inducing then under the body. For frame of reference, I’d venture I have 350-400 nights out in a quilt at this point.

Last edited:

beejwest

FNG
I have a UGQ 10° and love it. I use all 3 clips below about 40. Have had it to 15° and stayed plenty warm in long pants and a merino hoodie. It hit 50°+ one night this year during archery elk and it was awesome to roll the top half off me and undo the foot-box. I don't think I'll ever use a mummy again.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
My first year with a quilt, I went with an EE revelation 20 and its warm. I found it very comfortable at about 25 to 30 degrees but haven’t gotten it in anything colder yet. I did have trouble with condensation in my bivy on several clear cold nights. Probably operator error though. I’m a hot sleeper and need to learn to manage the condensation better. If I was doing more than a few days it would have been trouble. Overall I’m very stoked on the quilt though, lightweight, warm, and comfortable. Probably gonna buy a synthetic 30 or 40 this summer.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have never used a quilt. However, for many years now I have used my Marmot Helium sleeping bag unzipped and covering me like a blanket with only a thermarest underneath me. I find that to be more comfortable and less restrictive because I toss n turn a good bit at night. If and when I get cold, I just crawl in and zip up the bag and hood around my head. It is not as light or compact as a quilt, but it can be used like a quilt or bag - options.

tboed

FNG
Picked up a katabatic flex 22 this spring used on on a few early fishing trips with sub-freezing temps. Don’t think I will ever go back to a sleeping bag. All concerns I had about side sleeping and quilt staying in place were thrown out the door.