Folding Stocks - How Are Y'all Carrying On Your Hunting Pack?

jreyna

FNG
Howdy. I just got back from a white tail doe trip this past weekend and it was a little too toasty for my liking. I hope y'all are having cooler weather/better hunting conditions than I experienced. I digress.

I took my sig cross in 6.5 cm as a backup rifle. I love the compact size and haven't used it for any long range hunting but do hope to use it for some backcountry plinking in the future. That leads me to wonder, what is the best way to pack a folding stock rifle on a backpack? I'd like to pack it in a way that takes advantage of the stock being folded so that it doesn't protrude above my head 2 feet with a suppressor on it.

All in all, do y'all have any suggestions on how to carry a foldable stocked rifle on a hunting back that takes advantage of it's compactness (if that's even a word)? Any pics of your setup (rifle on bag) would be appreciated.

sram9102

WKR
20210421_081949.jpg
I have setup my pack like this to carry a rifle around in. This was a few years ago turkey hunting. Its really short when you fold the stock them strap it in. I have also just folded it up and jammed it in the pack .

I just carried my Sig Cross on my pack today. I put in a back pouch made by Kifaru and then attached that to my pack. I put my little glassing pad on top of that for some insurance, then finished off by tightening up my grab it
.800E93B5-60A9-4BE5-BFA2-6074C79C9253.jpegBA2564E7-7F02-43D5-96E2-8E0C2531F2EE.jpeg2AF0E98D-2C70-4BD5-9E66-73F9A48C98FA.jpeg598051EC-8D6E-4E01-97AA-92AE13A68D2C.jpeg

Gouge

FNG
I carry in the frame shelf of my MR on the way in and on the right side on the way out if I'm lucky.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also curious about this with the XLR. The ocular of the scope seems vulnerable when the stock is collapsed. I would like to integrate my x-lite glassing pad into the system and get the ocular up from the bottom edge of my pack in the event I slip on my ass going downhill. I’m using a SG Sky 5100. The tall open-top side pockets like you find on the Seek Outside packs would be ideal - collapse stock > wrap pad around scope/action > slide into side pocket and cinch it all down. Wondering if anyone knows a way to rig something like this on the side of a pack - maybe with a pouch you can attach?

Last edited:
I’m also curious about this with the XLR. The ocular of the scope seems vulnerable when the stock is collapsed. I would like to integrate my x-lite glassing pad into the system and get the ocular up from the bottom edge of my pack in the event I slip on my ass going downhill. I’m using a SG Sky 5100. The tall open-top side pockets like you find on the Seek Outside packs would be ideal - collapse stock > wrap pad around scope/action > slide into side pocket and cinch it all down. Wondering if anyone knows a way to rig something like this on the side of a pack - maybe with a pouch you can attach?
if anything the scope would be more protected with the stock collapsed. the hinge is still well below the ocular by a couple inches.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m also curious about this with the XLR. The ocular of the scope seems vulnerable when the stock is collapsed.
I have carried my XLR folder on numerous hunts and in a wide variety of terrain. My SE AK mountain goat hunt this fall was rugged and I took falls, slipped down rocky slides, and much more. The grip and hinge of the XLR taken a beating and has the marks to prove it, but it remained 100% functional and solid. That whole time the scope ocular was well-protected and unharmed.