FNG in Tennessee

Hey all... forum newbie, joined to gather info about archery elk hunts (guided probably, until I figure out wtf I'm doing).

30+ years chasing whitetails around KY and TN with whatever weapon is in season. If you're looking for any info on whitetail or turkey in TN, hit me up.

New Guy myself and TN resident as well. Second year hunting but first time tagging a Deer. Certain hunting is going to become a lifelong pasison.

OP
B
Thanks for the welcomes... I'm in Nashville, myself. Any of you have experience with an outfitter for archery elk? I'm not picky about the state (as long as I can get a tag).... Tons of options; hard to know who's worth the $$$$...

PRC_GUY

WKR
Thanks for the welcomes... I'm in Nashville, myself. Any of you have experience with an outfitter for archery elk? I'm not picky about the state (as long as I can get a tag).... Tons of options; hard to know who's worth the $$$$...
I will go Utah next Monday for both Cow and Bull elk with a guide!

tntrker

WKR
Born and raised in Waverly TN but moved to SC in 1990 after the Navy. My dream was to do an archery elk/moose hunt. I've taken a guided Montana elk & mule deer and a guided Newfoundland moose, both with rifles. I had to get some meat under my belt to "justify" the cost to myself (and wife). This year is my 1st Archery Elk guided in Montana. Start now buying points as I started 2 years ago buying for the Montana hunt this year and Wyoming in 24. I should JUST make the general draw in Wyoming then , but it'll be close at 4 points..Different states have different regs on points... PM me if you'd like to go this year in Sept, I'll be driving to MT and coming right through there. Montana has a certain % of tags for peeps with no points. 2 of my friends drew with no points last year for MT. Guide I'm doing is horseback & camp Sept 10th-16th. He MAY have room for you. I'm doing a 1:1 so you'd be own your own but the ride and company I can offer if we decide we could get along...

OP
B
Born and raised in Waverly TN but moved to SC in 1990 after the Navy. My dream was to do an archery elk/moose hunt. I've taken a guided Montana elk & mule deer and a guided Newfoundland moose, both with rifles. I had to get some meat under my belt to "justify" the cost to myself (and wife). This year is my 1st Archery Elk guided in Montana. Start now buying points as I started 2 years ago buying for the Montana hunt this year and Wyoming in 24. I should JUST make the general draw in Wyoming then , but it'll be close at 4 points..Different states have different regs on points... PM me if you'd like to go this year in Sept, I'll be driving to MT and coming right through there. Montana has a certain % of tags for peeps with no points. 2 of my friends drew with no points last year for MT. Guide I'm doing is horseback & camp Sept 10th-16th. He MAY have room for you. I'm doing a 1:1 so you'd be own your own but the ride and company I can offer if we decide we could get along...
Ah, nice! What outfitter did you book with? I've been looking in MT, CO, and ID... I've not used an outfitter before (other than for sandhill cranes in SE TN).... tried the DIY hunt for mule deer in UT this past October but came up empty (saw more moose than deer).

tntrker

WKR
Montana Wilderness Outfitter in West Yellowstone MT operated by Terry Search. Great guy to talk with and is recommended by Remi Warren Expeditions. Not that Remi is "god" or anything, but recommended by a known figure rather than a shot in the dark. That's all I know about them personally other than a few phone conversations with Terry, Remi's page, google research. I got my mule deer cause Montana does the Elk/Deer Combo and happen to catch two fighting midday while elk were bedded. Hoping I get "lucky" again in Sept to cross a mulie as well between elk sightings..