FNG- FYG

FYG

FNG
I'll cut to the chase- I've been on a Shoot2Hunt podcast bender, which led me to give Rokslide a go, as I've visited before, but haven't lurked much. I got on the bender via rumors of the Rokstock while shopping new Tikka stocks, and stayed for the information and perspective being shared there/here, and figure there's more learning that can be done as an active participant than dropping in once or twice a year.

Since I'm here for the shooting info first and foremost, here's where I'm at:
Started big game hunting with a mix of archery, shotguns and muzzys while in the midwest, and my grandpa's old Amish machine gun (Remington 760 in 30-06) when I moved back west (Idaho -> Missouri -> Iowa -> Montana). My primary rifle is a factory Tikka T3 (OG, not the X) Stainless Superlite in 7mm Rem Mag shooting 168 Bergers. Nothing fancy, but it shoots great at my current hunting ranges and is easy to carry. It was a gift from some Army friends, so instead of changing that rifle, I've got a 6.5 PRC Tikka that I'm piecing together right now (which led me down the Rokstock rabbit hole). 20" Preferred steel barrel, 7.5 twist, that will be suppressed, and have 156 Bergers and ADG brass on hand, hopefully shooting 2800-2850 with a reasonable load. If the Creedmoor is a dude with a manbun, I like to think the PRC is the lumbersexual, beard oiled vet with knuckle tats that say "Hold Hard" or some bullshit of the like, wearing flip-flops and board shorts in December driving a tuned diesel with Belgian Malinois riding shotgun. But like the Creedmoor, I'm not one to argue the results of the PRC, and I'm too junior on the reloading game to depart too far from anything factory, so here I am. I don't expect it to do anything my 7 Mag doesn't as far as killing animals, but it will be a more enjoyable rifle for my wife, friends kids, (and me) to shoot with the suppressor and arca plates for positional shooting.
I shoot my work rifle most frequently, as I'm not the one paying for ammo, which is a DD Delta 5 Pro in .308. It's good for running through the fundamentals and continuing education, as it certainly amplifies bad wind calls and the like more than my 7, but it's not something I will carry in the field for hunting.

As far as hunting goes- currently rifle > archery and deer > elk. Coming off a couple 7 year timeouts in '24 and '25, burning some points, saving others.

Like any 90's kid, I'm stuck between two generations, Traditional and New Age, and my shooting and equipment reflect this. I don't know what I don't know, and am hopeful that some additional perspectives can help get to where I want to be, so I look forward to some good banter, opinions, and truths from the forum.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new MT member.

Eddie

AKDoc

WKR
Welcome guy...I've enjoyed the photos that you have shared since joining...way cool!

I'm sure you've already figured out that this is definitely a good forum for hunters. Again, welcome!!